The Inbetween

You startle awake shivering, it was freezing cold. You look around to see a snowy forest, beautiful and mystical but, it was no place you'd ever heard of or seen before... it was almost other worldly. You then realize your naked on the snowy floor, but there's something warm and fuzzy behind you. You spin around to see your beloved Exley laying behind you, curled around you protectively. You sigh hugging him, relieved not to be alone making him rise his head and open his golden eyes.

After being confused on how you got here you remember the last bits of your life. You look to Exley confused, "So is this heaven?" You ask the large dog, he only cocks his head to the side in response. His sparkling loving yellow eyes then look past you hardening to cold and deadly as his ears flatten against his head, and a deep rumbled growl comes from his chest.

"No." a calm female voice comes from nowhere, you grasp onto Exley out of surprise as you both stand looking around for the voices owner. "Who's there!? Where am I?" You ask out confused, over Exley's growling, not liking what's going on. You then realize how big Exley was now, standing, his head comes up to your shoulders. Shaking your head, you ignore his size for now and focus on what's happening.

"Your dead technically speaking, but your spirit has not passed into eternal rest. Rather I pulled you here, to the in between." the voice says to you. You furrow your brows in confusion, you then place a hand in Exley's fur, starting to walk towards the forests edge where the voice was coming from.

Instead of a field or more forest there was nothing past the edge of the magical forest behind you. It was just white, absolute nothingness besides two normal sized red doors, and between them was a black and white swirling mist. It reminded you of the yin and yang sign, so you both kept walking towards it. It was swirling and floating about a foot off the ground and was the size of a person but not keeping any one shape. As you grew closer you got warmer, slowly losing the cold of the frosty forest behind you. Exley stopped you both a few feet from it, growling at the mist not trusting it, "Hello (Y/n), and of corse Exley." it greeted you in the angelic voice you'd heard earlier.

Exley immediately stopped growling and cocked his head to the side clearly confused. You patted the large dog and spoke up, "What's going on? Why are we here?" You asked the mist still confused. It didn't move, it only floated between the doors swirling peacefully, "I pulled both of your spirits here after you died in the place of that young soldier and child. I pulled Exley's spirit here because he died trying to save your life. He is a loyal creature after all and I think he would of found you here even if I didn't bring him myself." It tells you and you swear you can hear a smile.

You look to Exley and then back at the mist. "So why am I naked and why is Exley so big!?" You ask remembering your nakedness. The mist giggles lightly, "Your spirit has no need for clothing, you weren't born with clothing after all, and as for Exley, he had the spirit of a great Alfa wolf. This is his true form." It informs you gently. You hum in approval after stroking the wolf's head. You then turn back to the mist crossing your arms, "Okay but that still doesn't explain why you pulled us here." You say gesturing all around you.

You can hear the smile in the mists voice now as it tells you, "Your here because I admire both your bravery and bond. I want to offer you a choice between another chance at life or eternal rest with each other." it says simply. You blink twice before it sets in all the way and you look to the mist scepticly, you uncross your arms and put them on your hips. "Alright... but what's the catch if we choose to live again." You say raising an eyebrow at the mesmerizing swirling mist. It giggles at you, "Smart girl. The catch is it's a different dimension." it says. You think about it for a second again and ask hesitantly, "What's the differences between the dimensions..."  You question.

"Well for starters, Magic is a thing you'll both possess. You'll both be extremely powerful and you'll have to learn how to use your powers. It's in medieval time of sorts. The races are Giant, Fairy, Goddess, Demon, human and many more. You'll also be of the demon race (Y/n), and Exley an Alfa hellhound." it tells you allowing you to process all that it's told you. You gasp in shock, as you ponder everything that the mist told you. It sounded like an adventure.

You look from Exley's trusting eyes and look to the mist for your final question. "Okay. Will I keep my memories from now. What happens if we die again?" You ask quietly. "You will be able to choose weather to go to heaven or the land of the dead. As for your memories, they will come to you gradually, not all at once." She tells you gently.

When you actually think about it it's a win, win for both you and Exley. Even if it was a hoax what can she do? It's not like she can kill you guys! You turn to the large wolf grinning, "Well... what'dya say Ex? Wanna go?" you question with a grin. The wolf nudges his large head up under your arm causing your arm to side down his back, your hand resting on his head, his tail wagging and eyes sparkling.

You giggle turning to the mist, your hand still on the wolf's head, "We chose to take another adventure!" You say happily. The mist floats to the door on your left, it spins around it causing the door to creak open to reveal a bright white light. You blink a little to get used to it and you both start towards the light. Right before you step in the mist tells you something important, "There was a war that just was raging, the demon race was sealed away. Be careful who you trust being a demon in this dimension, I advise pretending to be human. Shouldn't be hard... considering." she says.

You nodded grinning widely. You waved to the mist who had taken shape of a beautiful woman. You couldn't see her face but you knew she was beautiful. "Thank you!" You yelled as the door started to close and Exley let out a mighty howl as a thanks. You watched the door close and disappear as the white light got so bright you squeezed your eyes shut and held onto Exley. Then blackness... nothingness.