5.

Storm.

14 days after the wedding.

Friday, 5:21 pm.

Dema's house.

"We advise everyone to stay home," A female voice said, from the News channel on the tv. "A thunderstorm is about to hit. And let me tell ya, it's a big one..."

Dema shifted her gaze, from the book on her lap to the screen in her living room. She frowned in confusion. Not because of the storm though, she already knew it was coming, she sensed it a few days ago. But because Sam hadn't called the pack in. With a thunderstorm that big coming, Sam would always order them to watch out for hikers, in case the river overflowed.

Then, Dema remembered how Sam would always hold off on telling her or Seth about anything serious. He'd tell them the small stuff, or the absolutely necessary, but nothing more. Sam had explained that while they were still in training, then they'd have to skip on a few pack duties. That also meant any natural threat. Dema didn't mind it much though since she'd rather spend time with Jasper. Plus, the stuff she'd be skipping on, were the only few things that needed great strength, which she especially lacked of.

Just in case, she decided to check if Sam had tried to contact her. She grabbed her phone, which rested on the coffee table, and checked for any missed calls or messages. The only unread text she did have, was from Jasper, and it was only to tell her he'd arrive at her house any minute now. She smiled, mindlessly feeling butterflies in her stomach.

"Is that Jasper?" Eliza inquired with a mocking grin, looking up from her own book as she sat on the armchair in front of her.

"I don't need a man to make me happy," Dema replied and rolled her eyes. "I might have read a note or a joke I wrote to myself, you know?"

"That would be kinda sad, Dema." Eliza laughed. "Come on," She pressed. "It was him, wasn't it?"

Dema sighed in surrender before a smile crept onto her face.

"It was." She nodded. "He's picking me up any minute now."

"Oh! Where are you going?" Eliza asked excitedly.

"I don't really know..." Dema mumbled. "He wouldn't really tell me, but he said it was some sort of family tradition. He just told me what to wear and when he'd pick me up." She gestured towards her unusual choice of clothing, which happened to be black leggings, over-sized t-shirt, snickers, and a jacket.

"Maybe," Eliza started. "They're making your very own coffin!" She joked, and Dema bit her lower lip to prevent herself from laughing as well.

"Mom!" Dema said with a small gasp. Eliza snorted lightly, causing Dema to burst out laughing. After a minute, Dema regained her posture and waved Eliza off. "I'm serious though. He said it was somewhat of an initiation into his family."

"I don't think I'd like to hear that from a vampire," Eliza said quietly.

Dema frowned. "You do know they're harmless, right? They'd never do anything to hurt me-"

Eliza shook her head and sighed. "I know that. You're absolutely right."

However, Dema didn't believe her and gave her an incredulous look.

"Mom, don't worry," Dema said softly. "Bella went through it, and look at her. She's happy, on an amazing honeymoon, god knows where, with the supposed love of her life, probably gleaming like a diamond in the sun with a margarita in hand."