11.

Birth.

Wednesday, 7:23 pm.

The forest.

Dema was struggling to keep up with the Cullens at first. Even at their weakest, the Cullens were still incredibly fast. It seemed that while dangerously thirsty, vampires would still be able to keep up a fight— a slightly clumsy fight, but a fight nonetheless.

Dema panted as she finally managed to catch up to Esme. The female vampire didn't even turn to acknowledge the werewolf, as she kept her cold, focused eyes fixated on her husband, in front of her. Carlisle followed a few feet after Emmett, as the youngest vampire lead them through the thick forest, not even bothering to check if they were still behind him or not.

As they made a sharp turn, barely even dodging a huge tree, Dema sniffled softly as she picked up a familiar scent. She somehow managed to keep running behind them, as she desperately tried to focus on the scent. She couldn't quite put a name on it, and she huffed and sniffled in confusion.

Esme realized this and glanced at her quickly. "Something's wrong." She hissed at her husband. Carlisle turned to face Dema with a frown, as the wolf's eyes finally widened with realization.

The scent — it belonged to Jared. He was close, and he was not alone.

Dema growled defensively, as she narrowed her eyes at her surroundings.

"They're close," Carlisle announced softly. "You can smell them, can't you, Dema?"

Dema nodded furiously, as she rushed to Emmett's side. She'd have to lead them since she was the only one able to pick their scents. She was hoping they wouldn't have to worry about that since Jacob said he'd take care of distracting them, but she couldn't be too sure.

Emmett nodded at Dema as she took the lead— pushing her limits as she ran faster than she could've ever imagined. She needed to get Carlisle into town. She needed to get them through the forest, safe and sound.

She needed to do this for Bella.

Dema jumped from boulder to boulder, dodged trees, and jumped over paths. But the furthest they ran, the stronger the scent got.

Something's wrong, Dema thought as she growled loudly. They're close. They're really close.

Close enough, that even the Cullens heard their loud paws against the ground. Their faint growls and snarls, as they smelled in their intoxicating vampire scent.

Everything happened so fast.

Panic flashed through the Cullens' faces, as they realized, they were right behind them.

Dema pushed herself even more, as she tried to run even faster. To run away from them. They all knew they wouldn't stand a chance if they fought back.

Esme's whimpers echoed through the forest, as she started to fall behind. Dema glanced back once, at the whole scene behind her. Emmett and Carlisle kept running, unable to protect Esme, as Jared and Brady Fuller were practically biting at her ankles.

Jared finally caught up to her and hit her with his torso. Esme groaned in pain, as she was sent flying across the forest, rolling down a small hill. Dema skidded to a halt, as Brady and Jared tumbled down the same hill. They quickly jumped up and growled menacingly at Esme.