9.

Blood.

The Cullens'.

Monday, 7:22 am.

The early morning rays of sunlight softly washed over the tall trees surrounding the four-story mansion. Dema yawned loudly as she stretched her tanned arms over her head. A few leaves and sticks crushed beneath her weight, making the rest of the werewolves aware of her presence. Jacob glanced at her quickly, before turning back to the bordering forest. Leah was just leaving for a perimeter run, while Seth leaned on a close-by tree.

"Any news?" Dema asked, peaking over Jacob's shoulders.

"Nope," Jacob shrugged. "Still radio silence." Except, it wasn't. They were all aware of their close-by presence.

"Good," Dema nodded with a small, calm smile. "I'm done with my perimeter run. Are you guys hungry? 'Cause, I can make somethin-" At this, Seth's eyes lit up and widened. He nodded frantically and practically tripped over some tree's roots.

Seth opened his mouth to accept the offer, but Jacob shot him a sharp look.

"Uh... I could eat," Seth shrugged, and Jacob nodded at him.

"Yeah, me too. Thanks, D." Jacob smiled softly at Dema, which she returned with a quick nod.

For the past couple of days, the situation hadn't turned around, for the better— it had actually worsened. Outside of the house, Leah growled spat and ignored the Cullens every chance she got— which angered Jacob the most. Seth and Leah bickered whenever they were on lookout together, and Dema vanished inside the house every now and then, which rose questions amongst the werewolves. Inside the house, all you could hear were heavy steps, as the vampires paced around the house, looking out of the windows, expecting an attack. Every once in a while you'd hear the computer keyboard, some page-turning on a book or the local newspaper (from Jasper, of course), and hushed concerned whispers for Bella. As for Bella, well, Edward seemed to be more desperate and angry by the second, and for some time now, she had been having some pain on her chest, which grew concern amongst the vampires.

Dema jogged back to the front door, turning the doorknob carefully slow, afraid the door would creak and wake up Bella. She had been having restless nights, and a few recurring nightmares. Every time this happened, Rosalie would try to calm her down and get her back to sleep— sometimes even Dema tried to help—, but nothing seemed to work with the pregnant mortal. Bella would often ask for Edward, but he was having trouble being around her. Dema thought he looked as if he was going to puke his guts out whenever he happened to be by Bella's side.

Dema quietly made her way through the door and started walking up the stairs. She stopped on her tracks once her gaze fell on a certain honey-blond vampire with dark eyes. He was staring down at her, at the top of the stairs, clenching his jaw with an icy-cold expression.

"Hi," Dema managed to say, as she slowly made her way to the top of the stairs. She could've sworn his facial expression relaxed as she approached him.

Jasper opened his mouth to say something, but he quickly started to hesitate. Dema stood a step beneath him, looking up expectantly as he struggled to get the words out of his mouth. Her heart rate quickened, as he closed his mouth. He fixed his eyes on her chest— her heart, to be exact. He clenched his fists, and quickly turned away and vanished around the corner.