6 | best sick day ever

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOUR FATHER'S GONE?" The young girl whispered in hopes of not to be heard by her sleeping mother

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOUR FATHER'S GONE?" The young girl whispered in hopes of not to be heard by her sleeping mother. Her expression softened at the crying Willy in front of her.

"He's gone. . he really is. . I'm sure he's gone up in the mountains. The house isn't there anymore." He sniffled, and wiped a tear away from his cheek. "I want you to come with me. . I want you to help me become a chocolatier."

"Reese?" Her mother called as she walked down the steps. She was still half asleep. "Reese, you're supposed to be in bed."

"Okay! Just a second!" She turned back to Willy with a frown and shook her head. "I'm sorry. . I have to stay with my mother. She needs help around here."

It took him a while to respond before saying, "I understand" lowly. She gave him a sad smile before shutting the door.

Reese woke up crying. She sat up, and put her fingers on her cheeks to feel the wetness that her tears had left. Once she replayed her dream over, she started to cry again. She felt so bad for Willy that night, and felt even worse once she realised he wasn't in class the next day.

Or the day after that.

Not even after a full month.

She shook her head to get the sadness out of her mind. There was no reason for her to be sad about Willy's absence, now. . she was with him at all times, and from the looks of it, he seemed happy as well. The guilt just. . hasn't left her system yet.

She didn't feel like getting up. Aside from feeling like hell inside her mind, her body felt like hell too. Her head was hurting, her throat felt scratchy and dry, she had a bad cough, and she felt like she couldn't breathe.

She coughed herself back onto the mattress, and laid down on her side that was turned away from the door. Her hands grabbed the blankets tightly as she coughed a couple more times.

"Where's Peanut?" Willy asked, furrowing his brows and looking around the little kitchen inside the Buckets' house. "She'd usually be here by now."

"Maybe she's still in her room? You should go check on her." Charlie suggested, smiling. He was helping his mother with the dishes.

Willy blushed and looked down at his gloves. Would he want to enter a woman's room without her knowing? No.

Mrs. Bucket seemed to notice this, and put a hand on Willy's shoulder. "I'll go take a look. . okay?"

He nodded as she walked away. Yes, he was worried. . but he didn't want to disturb Reese.

Meanwhile, when Mrs. Bucket came into Reese's room, she sighed and walked towards the younger woman. . who was coughing like there was no tomorrow. She sat down on the bed next to Reese, and felt her forehead with the back of her hand.

"Reese, you're burning up!" She exclaimed, taking her hand away from her forehead. She stood up, and took a whole of Reese's shoulders to sit her up against the board behind the bed. "We need to get you some medicine."

"Just. . just ask Willy." Reese breathed, closing her eyes. "Maybe he can get one of the Oompa
Loompas to bring it here."

"Great idea. . meanwhile, just get some rest. I'll be back."

• • •

Reese woke up only hours later. The sun was still up, but it was later in the day. There was someone sitting next to her, a hatted figure. Her head turned, and her eyes followed to where the shadow came from. "Willy?"

"Hi." He smiled at her and handed her something. "I brought some chocolates with me."

"Thank you." She smiled back, but it was nearly a sad one. She rested it on her nightstand.

He frowned. . he felt something was wrong. Did he do something wrong? Was something he did unacceptable? Did she like the gift? "Peanut. . Peanut, what's wrong? Did I do something? I'm sorry if I hurt you in anyway. . I--. . "

"You didn't do anything. I was just thinking of something that happened in the past." She shook her head and moved her legs around under her blankets. "I just wish that I didn't leave you the night you left. I was devastated when you didn't come to class that day. . or any time after that."

Willy's eyes softened as he took her hand. His smile wasn't too intense, but it was one to reassure her that everything was okay. "Reese, that's all in the past. I'm not mad at you for that, I never was. I understood you had to help your mother with certain things. . you were the only one she had left in that household. Besides, I realised when I had gotten the Oompa Loompas that it would've been too dangerous for you, you could've gotten hurt in that jungle." He sighed and looked down at their hands. "And. . and I love you too much. . to have you go through that danger." He said quietly while looking down blankly at the bedsheets. His face was as red as it could possibly get.

Reese smiled at this, and felt something lighten upon her chest. She still felt ill, but she didn't feel guilt any more. She cupped his face with her hands, and turned him towards her. Upon the realisation that she was still sick, she dropped her hands back onto her lap. "I would totally kiss you right now, but I'm sick. ."

He laughed a little, "I want to wait, but I'm not sure if I can."

"Me too. . but you have to. I don't wanna pass anything on."

He smiled, and held her hand once again. "I love you, Peanut."

"I love you too, Mr. Wonka."

Willy felt proud that he finally said those three words: I love you.

• • •

turned cheesy at the end but 🥺
comment and vote if u enjoyed.