20|The Capitol

"This way." The teenage girl says while leading us down the road. "These buildings to the left are houses and the fields on the right are where we grow our food. As we continue walking there is also the blacksmith and medical bay down here."

She points to an outdoor tented area where a man and young boy were doing some metal work. There dirt covered faces held sweat as the fire next to them roared. Even from our distance on the road, I can feel the heat press away from the tent.

The other side has a wooden building with a red cross painted on the outside of it. I can see a man with a long wooden walking stick make his way up the steps to enter the infirmary. He wobbles a little and I can tell his leg is injured.

"Up front we have the Capitol. It's where are leaders make decisions and live. It's like a modern day White House." The girl says and
I'm happy that I understand her reference.

"You learn about Old America?" William asks.

"We have tutoring. History is a lesson we learn along with our skilled preference." She answers.

"Skilled preference?" Kevin is the one to ask the question, surprising me that he spoke up.

"Like blacksmithing or hunting and so on. You choose your skill by the age of ten and apprentice until age fifteen."

"You can't switch?" William asks.

"It depends on necessity and skill." She answers before moving on. "Konrad is going to speak to you inside so you guys can go on into the Capitol." She walks away, leaving us at the steps of the large building.

I take a step forward, looking behind me to make sure everyone is following. Once I am satisfied that they in fact are, I continue my way up the steps. It doesn't take long until I reach the large entrance of the Capitol. Two men stand on either side of the door, there weapons are put away, but they still stand ready for any sudden attack.

They open the door for us, already knowing of our arrival. The inside of the building is gorgeous. Large pieces of aging artwork sit on the cream colored walls. A staircase that splits into two is directly in front of us, a chandelier hangs from the wall in the middle of the huge room. It looks like something from Old America, like stepping through the threshold of this building sent us back in time.

I am amazed something like this even exists. It's insane how well they kept this preserved.

"Isn't she a wonder." I hear the voice of Konrad as he walks down the steps of the grand staircase. He is dressed per usual but his weapons are gone and is hair has been let down from its man bun. "Lets go into the conference room upstairs."

He leads us upstairs until we reach a room with a long table in it. Most of the seats are filled, but they leave nine chairs empty for us and Konrad.

"Sit please." I sit in a seat in between Jacob and Marcus. William sits on the other side of Marcus and is closest to Konrad who sits at the end of the table. "Let me introduce you all to head of security, Cayden."

I meet eyes with a man who has the palest skin in this whole place. His hair is shaved and his eyes are an icy blue. He glances around the room, watching everyone with a harsh glare.

"We also have our head of agriculture, Eirene." The woman sits next to Cayden with a small smile on her face. She has dark features with her braids pulled back into a bun.

"Then we have our head of medicine, Rafael." This man looks around eighty. His grey hair is cut short and his face holds many wrinkles. He has a long scar across his neck, as if someone had tried to cut his throat.