Book 2|Chapter 12

|War Wounds|

Marcus's wounds are worse than they look, which says something because they look horrendous. He has five large claw marks down his torso, ripping into his innards. However, there is some good news. He doesn't have any internal injuries. Though, that's as far as the good news goes. His wounds were sewn shut while he was wide awake with only pain medicine to keep him company. We would have chloroformed him, but he refused. He wanted to leave the hellish trap of a building as soon as possible, which none of us were particularly opposed to.

It took forty-five minutes to sew them shut since she had to keep stopping when the pain was all too much. Then Sabrina bandaged them. After that we were on the road yet again.

I have to say, the team looks rough. Cayden and William have their fight wounds. Sabrina has her bruises from red beard. Kevin is missing a damn toe and now Marcus. I feel like it's only time before it's my turn to get some battle scars. Unless you count me falling out of a tree.

Nevertheless we have to keep going. It's our best chance at finding the rest of the facility group and in all actuality, our best chance at survival. We have no place to live, no home, no shelter and we are in the midsts of winter. That's a dangerous combination.

Thankfully walking is something all of us are now used to. It's become something that we can do all day with minimal aches and pains at the end. I've actually come to enjoy the walking because of its peacefulness. But right now, nothing is peaceful.

The whole group is extremely tense from last nights events. We walk is deafening silence and with every sudden noise, we jump or tense up. Marcus is a whole other topic as we walk at half speed to accommodate for his new found injuries. William and Cayden help him walk on either side of him to reduce the pressure on his wounds. At our current speed and the fact that we cut our walking short yesterday, we will have to add another day to this journey. Nobody likes the idea of it, but there is nothing we can do to change it.

I look back at Marcus trailing behind. His eyes are half opened as he limps forward. I wince at the sight, knowing he is in an immense pain right now. How he looks reminds me of the drunks and druggies back at the facility. I just hope he's numbed in the same way. I continuously look back and keep watch on his bandages, making sure that if his stitches rip I see them right away. I know Sabrina is doing the same.

I can't help but have a bad feeling about this. What we are doing is such a bad idea when we think about the health of Marcus. But we don't have anywhere to stop around us and we are too far to go back to the police station.

Even Kevin is having trouble as he walks with the help of Lily and I. He's getting better at walking, but his stitches are still new.

"You doing okay?" I over hear William asking Marcus who's head is hanging downwards. Marcus grunts as a response, not having the energy to say much else. "Do you want to stop for a second."

Marcus mumbles an almost incoherent yes which causes us all to stop walking. Cayden and William place him down near a tree and as he moves down I can hear him make small gasps of pain. Kevin lets go of us and sits as well, thankful for the excuse of a break.

From the corner of my eye I can see Caleb staring at the map on worry, probably stressed at our slow pace. He has been leading us this entire time, making sure we continue on the right path to make it to headquarters.

"Should we really walk much more with Marcus like this?" Lily asks worry written clearly on her face.

"I'm- I'm fine." Marcus mumbles out, grasping on the tree to try to get up again.