28|Void

Kevin is the last to appear in the small room. I stay standing in the corner, waiting for the locked door to somehow be unlocked. I can see Cayden looking around the room in wonder, he even places his hands in the wall to feel the smooth metal under his hands.

Kevin comes forward and pulls out a panel from the wall. He messes around with a few wires and in just under five minutes, the door slides open. I watch a smile of contentment rise on Kevin's face before we all rush into the hallways of the first floor.

It feels strange to be here again, even though it hasn't been that long. It's almost as if this place was all just a distant memory, one that I wasn't sure we'd ever return to.

We run through the hall, searching for any one of the leaders. We have so much to inform them, we had learn so much on our trip. Our steps echo off of the eerily quiet walls. William leads us forward through the narrow hall. We finally reach the main meeting and dining hall, just to find it completely empty.

There isn't even a guard that stands in front of the main door that leads to other floors. This is particularly strange, since they're always watching to make sure no sort of criminal finds their way up to this floor.

"What the-." William whispers as he begins to open every door in the area. All of them are empty, void of people. Finally, William reaches the last room around, the one that Charlotte had pulled Sabrina into before we left. We all enter it to see a large and extremely messy room. Chairs and tables were pushed over, papers blown everywhere. Computer monitors are crashed onto the floor, glass shattered covering the area around it. It is as if someone came through and destroyed everything, but only this room.

"No. No." William is whispering to himself when he walks in.

I pick up a paper that is balancing on the edge of one of the chairs.

N.I.P.O.

Proposal begins January 1st, 2022

Infermon

A) Spread

Ground Zero- Hanson Island
Week One- Light Block
Month One- Spread to U.S.A.
Month Two- Spread to Canada and Mexico
Month Three- Transport to Europe, Australia, and Africa
Month Four- No Uninfected Country Left

B) Solution

Collection (each) :
10 air specialists
20 engineers - 5 nuclear engineers
10 doctors
10 military officials - 10 police detectives
20 farmers
10 chemists

Director Shires calls for building to begin on October 1st, 2020.

I, Joan Kafer, agree to the plan written above.

The paperwork causes my face to twist into one of perplexity. Had the founders known what would happen before it did? Is that how they built this in time to save our ancestors and in turn saving us?

"What is this room?" Marcus questions as he picks up a random paper from the floor. William doesn't answer as he sits down in a random chair, letting his head fall into his hands. At the sight of this Kevin runs away, presumably heading downstairs to find his family.

"Charlotte showed me this room, before we left." Sabrina says, looking around the room. I lift my head from the paper to look at her.

"What'd she show you-." I pause before finishing. "That made you so scared?"