Epilogue

September 12th, 2172

I'm not doing this to anger or upset anyone. I'm not doing this because I'm suicidal. I'm not doing this because I'm angry. I'm doing this because I'm ready. I've lived a fulfilling life and the pain in my chest, in my lungs, in my throat, it's all just too unbearable. I know I'm dying already.

I trust that Alejandra and Daniel will do amazing things with their lives. I'm proud of them already.

And to Alejandra,

If you are reading this there is something you need to know.

I took the paths to the first floor a few weeks ago. For the first time ever and for my very last climb. I heard something, a conversation. It was between someone named Charlotte and a male that I never heard the name of. But I don't think he was even in the room. His voice was static-y, distant.

They spoke about a trip where eight people would leave the facility. The trip is the beginning of the next stage, the continuation of the founders work. Those chosen people would be tasked to see if it is safe on the surface. They talked about creatures that live out there called Infermons. They are responsible for starting the Great War. If it just so happens that you ever need to leave, just know this.

Those creatures aren't real.