21|Clue or Evidence

"I teach skills to the small children, before they choose their specialty." I overhear Jacob speaking to one of the adults who is in charge of watching over the kids. While, I, talk to the children themselves. Our best chance at getting the towns secrets, come from the kids who speak just a little to much.

"You like it here?" I ask a small girl with her hair split into two braids. She is missing one of her front teeth, but it doesn't stop her from smiling.

"Yes, they say that outside the walls is dangerous, because of the demons. Is that where your from?" Her face is curious, since she has obviously never left this place. I can understand how that feels.

"I'm from a place like this, but I had to travel through the outside." I answer.

"Did you meet a demon?" She asks with her eyes full of fear.

"I may have, but I'm okay. They seem to have left us alone after the first night of travel." I say with a reassuring smile, not wanting her to be fearful.

"You must have had fire then." My face contorts into confusion at her response.

"Why do you say that."

"Girls, boys, it's time to go!" I hear the woman Jacob was speaking with yell out. She waves over to the children, causing them to run up and join her.

"Sorry, I have to go." The girl begins to run off, leaving me with more questions than answers.

"Wait." She turns around to look at me, waving goodbye, but not stopping. I sigh out and walk over to a smiling Jacob. "What's got you smiling like that?" I tease with a smile now on my own face.

"Nothing, she was just nice that's all." Jacob answers, before continuing. "So, what's next?"

"I don't know. I didn't get much from the girl." I pause thinking. "I don't think that this place has many reason to fight us anyways, even if we do move into the city."

"Yeah, I don't really understand why were doing this either." His face quickly turns serious at that.

"Because we don't know what these people are capable of. So, we need to prepare for worst case scenario." I turn to see William and Kevin walking up to us. Of course, it is William who is speaking.

"These people have so much to lose though, so why would they risk it." Jacob argues back.

"Exactly, they have a lot to lose. So, they can become an enemy quickly if they think were a threat in anyway." William answers back quickly and confidently.

"Did you guys find anything anyways?" I cut in, stopping the argument.

"No, just that there left wall has the least amount of security." Kevin is the one to answer. "It's also the least stable. A tree fell there so there's people fixing it, but it will take two to three days to fix."

"Alright, well that's something. Can we go now?" I ask, not with any attitude, just with urgency. I don't want to stay to long in fear that I will get attached to the people here.

"Let's just go see if the other's found anything first." William says and heads of to go look for them. We all follow, keeping our eyes peeled for the four people.

"You guys see anything you like?" I turn to see Konrad is walking up to us. Cayden hangs out behind him, keeping his eyes on us.

"We're going to be leaving actually." William answers, crossing his arms. There is obviously something he doesn't like about Konrad.

"What a shame!" Konrad says with a clap of his hands. "I was starting to like you all too."

"Yeah, we just have our home to get back to." I say with a smile, trying to look friendly to oppose William's hostile one.