New Girl in Town

[edited]

Waking up the next morning, I discovered I had awoken before the sun. This fact was unsurprising due to my regular routine of early morning chores back on the farm — by now it was practically engraved in my mind to be up at dawn.

Slipping off of the worn mattress, I landed on the cold flooring without a sound. Glancing towards the bottom bunk, I noticed Spot still sound asleep. He, along with the rest of the boys, likely wouldn't get up for awhile. Newspaper selling wouldn't need to start until the sun and the people were up.

I briefly went to the washroom, slipping on my powder blue dress from the previous day even though it still wasn't the cleanest. Smoothing out the wrinkles with my hands, I then tied my curls back with a small ribbon. Returning to the bedroom, I glanced around before noticing a window on the far left wall.

I tiptoed towards it, carefully sliding the wooden frame up. The cool morning air breezed in, sending goosebumps down my arms. Slowly, I climbed out the opening and stepped out onto the fire escape. As I was ducking out, my shoulder nudged the frame which caused the window to drop shut with a small thud.

Quickly peering back through the glass, I assured Spot was still asleep before descending down the stairs. Once my feet touched the dusty ground of the alley, I wandered towards the front of the small building. Before I could exit, I heard a small noise to my right. Looking down, I saw nothing but some battered boxes. As I neared them, the noises grew louder. Reaching for one of the boxes, it was much heavier than I had thought, urging me to look inside.

I was met with a small dog that appeared to be scared. It was shaking terribly, small noises of distress escaping her. The puppy was white with scattered black spots. It was undeniably adorable and I instantly fell in love with one look into those big chocolate eyes.

"Hello little one. Are you lost?" I asked, reaching to cradle it to my chest.

"Well I can take care of you if there is no one else," I trailed off, glancing around. Seeing as no one was in sight and it was simply left outside, I began returning inside.

Clutching the puppy in my arms, I tiptoed back into the room Spot and I had shared. He had his back to me and was finishing pulling up his suspenders.

"Good morning Spot," I greeted softly, "Look at what I found out in the alley," I announced happily.

"What is dat?" he asked skeptically.

"What does it look like mister? It's a puppy."

"Well I can see dat, what do youse plan on doin' wit it?" he questioned as he rolled up his sleeves.

"I would really like it if I could keep him," I suggested, peering up at Spot.

"Ise ain't sure about dat."

"But just look at her, please Spot." I was borderline begging by now. My heart was set and I refused to take no for an answer.

"Fine. Just don't let it be pissin' all ovah da place."

"Thank you," I smiled brightly.

"Hm, what should I name you?"

Staring into her eyes, I mulled over some names. She reminded of the dogs I had often seen running through our fields back home. I had a sudden sense of longing to be back in the beautiful landscapes that Ireland provided, but this puppy was a comforting reminder.

"I rather like Clover," I decided quietly to myself.

"Clovah?" Spot asked, catching my whispering.

"Yes, Clover. Is there a problem with that?" I asked teasingly.