Broken Bliss

[edited]
Collin Above

As Collin lead me through the streets of the Bronx, he pointed out various different places. There were various parks and areas with blooming flowers, along with many seemingly delicious diners. My favorite though, was the library. I certainly had to come here more often.

We laughed as we chatted along the way to wherever he was leading me, and it felt as if I'd known him all my life. I was wishing I'd met him sooner just as we stopped in front of a building. It was a two-story, brick structure that looked fairly up to date. Light leaked from the front windows, through which I could see boys running around inside. There was also plenty of infectious laughter to be heard. I found myself smiling at the homeliness of the building.

"This would be where all of the boys stay," Collin spoke, glancing towards me.

"Well, can we go inside already?" was my eager response.

"Why not, I'm sure they're all just dying to meet you," he smirked, causing a giggle to escape my mouth.

Collin dropped his arm from around my shoulders and instead grabbed my hand to lead me into the building. I blushed at the action, glancing at the calloused hand that held mine. Loud voices were heard upon pushing open the door, rambunctious boys in the midst of wrestling and card games.

"Hey! Shut your mouths, we got a lady in our presence," he shouted, immediately gaining their attention.

"Hello," I waved shyly with a small smile.

"Who's dat Crow?"

"Yeah, who's da girl?"

"This is Songbird, from Brooklyn," he smirked.

All the boys that had gathered shared wide eyed looks, panic washing over them. Their reactions had me confused and questioning what was so bad about my presence.

"Well shit Crow, youse gonna get us killed!"

"Yeah Crow, Spot's gonna storm in any minute dontcha think," another boy chimed in.

"I assure you all I came on my own free will," I spoke up, "Spot cannot dictate where I go or whom I talk to."

The boys seemed to relax and laughed at my response, a few letting out some low whistles. I crossed my arms nervously, suddenly aware of the attention I'd drawn to myself.

"Fiery, I like it," a boy with shaggy brown hair winked to which I rolled my eyes.

"You can like it all you want but it would be in your best interest to keep your distance," I huffed out, suddenly irritated with the catcalls.

The boys let out a low chorus, shoving the other's shoulder. His face flushed red with embarrassment as he incessantly pushed the others away from him.

"If you could all pull it together, I think Songbird here would like to stay for a little bit," Collin spoke up, voice rising above the others.

"I would like that very much," I smiled in return.

Sitting down on a couch with Collin, I was now sat between him and another boy. He had short inky hair and stunning green eyes that shimmered with mirth as he smiled.

Turning to me, he extended his hand in my direction. I hesitantly slid my own into his as he shook it in greeting.

"I'm Hawk, nice ta meet youse miss."

"A pleasure to meet you too," I smiled back kindly.

Settling back into our seats on the couch, Hawk gestured to the boys in a circle on the floor.