A Date With The King

[edited]

Leisurely walking down the familiar streets, hands in my pockets, I cast my gaze downward. All things considered, I was in no particular hurry. There were still hours left until I was due to meet Spot. Arriving at my destination after minutes spent in the warm sunlight, I pushed open the side door to the theater.

"Medda," I called out, peering out onto the stage.

"Back here honey," her melodic voice called back

I walked across the wooden stage, bathed in low light, and slipped behind the curtain. Wandering backstage, I navigated my way to her dressing room. She sat at her vanity, powdering her face as she likely prepared for the night's show.

"Sorry to bother you Medda," I apologized, "but I was wondering if you would help me get ready for a date tonight?"

She halted in her movements, twisting to look at me with wide eyes. I blushed under her gaze, shuffling my boot clad feet.

"A date, Catalina?" she gasped, "With whom?"

"Um...w-with Spot," I stuttered in embarrassment.

"Why, I should have known," the red headed woman grinned.

"The way that boy was looking at you at the rally, you would've thought him to be in love."

"Love is a strong word Medda," I chuckled, pulling the cap off of my head and releasing the frizzy flyaways.

"Well love or not, you cannot go anywhere looking like that."

"Exactly why I came to you Miss Larkin," I beamed in praise, "I only need a simple outfit to borrow for the night."

She rose, gracefully stepping towards her wardrobe. Shuffling through countless articles of clothing, she finally settled on a long skirt and a buttoned blouse. The skirt was made of a rich blue fabric with a black banded waist, while the blouse was a silky cream.

"It will be perfect," I beamed.

Ushering me towards a changing room, I removed Spot's pants after kicking off my boots. Piling them on the floor, the plaid button up and white undershirt were quick to follow.

I briefly admired the rich clothing within my hands, loving the smooth fabrics as my fingers ran over it, before slipping it on. The smooth silk felt luxurious against my alabaster skin. It fit close to perfect, gently caressing my curves. As the bottom of the skirt brushed against the floor, I opted to slide my worn boots back on.

Folding my previous outfit into a neat pile, I stepped out of the room. Returning to Medda, she swiftly pulled me down into the chair of her vanity. Settling down in the cushioned seat, Medda was quick to begin working.

Her thin fingers braided and pinned my curly locks into place to create a soft hairstyle. Half of my hair was pinned back while Medda tamed the remaining locks into loose ringlets.

As a finishing touch, she lightly pinched my cheeks until a rosy color livened my appearance. I examined the reflection of myself in the mirror before me. I looked bright and happy; feelings that hadn't been present for years.

I shifted, turning towards the beautiful woman stood beside me. I beamed at her in appreciation, heart swelling at the motherly figure she was for me.