Harbor Swims

[edited]

After ten minutes of walking and mindless chatting, we arrived at the docks. There were multiple groups of boys sitting around and jumping into the water below. As we approached, all eyes turned and caused me to push myself slightly behind Spot. He confidently strode towards the end of the docks where a large tower of crates sat.

"If ya want, youse can sit up dere while wese swim," he told me as he kicked off his shoes.

"Okay," I softly replied, awkwardly shifting on me feet. He left my side, going off towards a group of older boys around our age. They were instantly smiling and laughing, pushing each other off the dock like any teenage boys would.

Shakily, I climbed up the stack of crates. Clumsily landing onto the top, I sat up and took in my surroundings. I could see all the boys swimming, making splashes as they jumped in.

"Hey miss," someone called up to me. Crawling towards the edge, I glanced down and caught sight of two boys squinting up at me.

"Dats where Spot sits. I suggest youse get down!"

I quickly clambered down, stumbling on my feet after landing on solid ground. I nervously looked up at the two boys as they were much more intimidating from down here. Both towered over me, one with dark floppy hair and the other a curly blonde.

"What's a pretty girl like youse doin' around here?" the dark haired boy taunted. Anger suddenly flared in my chest at the malicious glint in his eyes.

"Leaving," I ground out, trying to push past them. The same boy grabbed my wrist, pulling me back towards him. I spun around, fixing a hard glare on him.

"Rookie mistake," he shook his head, "Never turn ya back on me when Ise talkin'."

"I will turn my back if I want to you egotistic pig," I bit back, my temper coming back full force.

"Maybe a lesson will help youse learn," the other boy suggested, laughing to himself.

"What?" I managed to ask before I was suddenly being pushed into the harbor.

I let out a small scream before it was muffled by the water entering my mouth. I struggled to resurface, panic seizing me. I moved my arms and kicked my legs but still felt as though I was barely moving.

The panic seemed to take over as I frantically kicked towards the surface, all my lessons on swimming evading my mind. I was desperate for air, my head feeling like it would explode.

As I felt myself slowly fading, an arm wrapped around my waist. I could faintly feel as I was dragged towards the surface until cold air finally hit my face. I greedily sucked in oxygen, filling my lungs as I panted.

I closed my eyes, my entire body feeling heavy from exhaustion. I just wanted to lay down until I could breathe normally again.

"Cat," a voice called close to my ear, "Ise got you Cat, just hold on."

Cracking open my eyes, I turned my head to see who had saved me. I tiredly gazed up at Spot, droplets of water dripping off his face and hair.

Spot's POV

Ace, Pick, and I were all standing at the end of the dock carrying on casual conversation. I was leaned against a post as the two boys across from me told me about their sales and the girls they came across during the day. I laughed with them, stealing the cigarette from Pick's fingers and taking a drag.

After Ace finished off the rest of it, stomping it out on the boards, I shoved him off the dock and into the water. He resurfaced, playfully glaring up at me. I proceeded with pushing Pick off the dock too before diving into the water myself.