Welcome to the Bronx

[edited]

I woke up in a less than graceful manner, bright rays of sunlight disrupting my sleep. I slid out of bed, Clover following closely behind as I trudged into the washroom. Preparing for a day of selling on the streets with the boys, I slipped on my worn pants and plaid button up. Tying my hair back in a tight braid, I felt satisfied with my appearance. The added shimmer of my necklace aided in brightening my look.

Returning to the room with an added bounce in my step, I entered as Spot was pulling up his pants. My cheeks flushed as he looked at me indifferently before continuing dressing.

I gingerly sat down on his bunk and pulled Clover up onto my lap. Scratching her ears and back, we patiently waited for Spot to finish readying himself for the day.

Once he had pulled his faded red suspenders up onto his shoulders, I rose from the bunk and strode to stand beside him. He glanced down towards me and leaned down to steal a quick kiss. I reacted instantly, leaning into his lean body. Pulling back, I took note of the smirk adorning his face as he tapped down the bill of my cap.

"Ready ta get sellin'?"

I nodded, "Ready to sell and sweat bullets out in that New York sun."

"Get used ta it sweetheart," he teased, throwing his arm around my shoulder and guiding us through the lodge.

Stepping outside, the humid summer air was already awaiting us. The sun was beginning to rise, its rays now grazing the paved streets. There were minimal people walking about as the work flow had yet to start.

"So what will the plan be for today Mr. Conlon?" I asked as we walked towards the distribution center.

"Since when did wese make plans?" Was his response as he sent me a scrutinizing look.

"Since today," I sassed back with a cheeky grin.

Shaking his head in amusement, he answered, "Wese can sell papes 'til noon and den I'lll find youse and we'll go get some food together."

"Okay," I smiled up at him and looped my arm around his waist as I leaned into him.

Upon arriving at the center, we easily slipped into line behind the other boys waiting to purchase newspapers.

"Mornin' Chirps," Da Vinci smiled.

"Good morning boys," I greeted back, tugging Prince's cap over his eyes.

"How's da Songbird this lovely morning?" Ace asked with a grin, "Finally got da key ta Brooklyn Ise see."

I blushed at his comment, reaching up to fiddle with said key, "Shut up Ace."

The boys laughed at my expense as I lamely shoved at their shoulders.

"Wese just kiddin', no need to get violent Chirps."

We continued talking aimlessly as we moved our way up to the window, our laughter joining in with the other's chatter. Spot was busy keeping an eye on all of the boys as he fiddled with his cane.

"The uddah day when Ise was sellin', I seen da prettiest goirl walkin' past," Ace started a new conversation, moving on from the topic of poker.

"Youse say dat about every goirl you seen," Blue retorted with an eye roll as Prince laughed.

"Blue's right, you drool over every girl that walks past. Been too long huh?" he teased, earning a shove to his shoulder.

"Only the Lord above knows da last time Ace actually scored," Da Vinci added in with a chuckle.