A Traitor in Our Midst

[in progress]

I awoke disoriented, my bleary vision set on the chipping ceiling paint. I suddenly recalled a faint memory of being carried upstairs by a pair of toned arms, the color of red suspenders brightening the memory.

I reached a fist up to my cloudy eyes, rubbing away the sleep. Stretching out, my sore muscles protested at the movement. My body was still tired from the panicked actions from two days prior.

Suddenly noticing the lack of any others in the room, I slipped down from my bunk. The skirts of my dress fell to my knees in a wrinkled mess. I did my best to smooth out the wrinkles and my knotted hair. Giving up, I moved to the window and pulled it open. A cool breeze drifted in, cooling off the humid room.

Pulling out my green summer dress, I sluggishly made my way towards the washroom. I adverted my eyes from the half dressed boys bustling around, washing up, and continued walking.

"Mornin' Cat," Ace grinned, ruffling my hair as water dripped off his own.

I grunted back, rolling my eyes and pushing away his hand.

"Hey deres da Songbird," Pick called out.

I looked at him in confusion as he slung his arm over my shoulders and echoed, "Songbird?"

"Why of course," Prince smirked, "Brooklyn's girl, our pride and joy."

"Me?" I pointed a finger at myself, glancing around at the boys.

"Yeah youse," Da Vinci chuckled while Blue came up to flick my nose.

"You sing real pretty Cat," Blue commented, continuing shaving his face.

"Why thank you boys," I shyly smiled, "So does that mean I officially have a nickname?"

"Shoah," Pick grinned, lightly punching my shoulder.

I giggled, entering my designated stall. I quickly dressed, running a stray brush through my curly locks. Pulling it back into a loose braid, tying it off with my ribbon, I deemed myself presentable.

The sun was already up in the sky, signaling my late rising. I hadn't realized how exhausted I had been. Shrugging away the thought, I hopped my way down the stairs with a spring in my step. As I landed on the first floor, I immediately began my search for a certain boy and puppy.

After sweeping through the parlor, sitting room, and kitchen, I concluded they must be outside. Exiting the lodge, I glanced across the streets. There was already a steady flow of people, enjoying the weather and bustling to work.

Sat on the stoop were exactly who I had been looking for. Spot was busy playing with Clover and rubbing her belly. I smiled fondly at the adorable sight before me.

"Good morning Spot," I smiled, dropping down next to him.

"Mornin' sweetheart," he easily replied without looking up.

"So we're sticking with sweetheart, huh?"

"What, youse don't wanna be a sweetheart?" he teased.

"Well mister, I wasn't aware I was anyone's sweetheart."

He hummed, leaning back and stretching his arms out. His one arm landed behind me, his hand by my hip. His fingers fiddled with the skirt of my dress as he seemed to be contemplating something.

"So what's it take for youse ta be someone's sweetheart den?" he suddenly spoke up, squinting up at the sky.

I grinned, heat rushing to my cheeks.