Deal Or No Deal

[edited]

When I awoke, I was still disoriented and drowsy. I rolled over to find a more comfortable position but was suddenly falling through the air. The fall was short, seeing as I wasn't too high up. I landed on the cold, unforgiving, floorboards in a tangled heap. My blanket had wrapped itself around my legs, trapping my limbs.

As I hit the floor, both Spot and Clover jolted awake. Clover went back to sleeping whereas Spot rubbed his eyes as he sat up. He looked over to me on the floor, a bored expression on his face.

"Ow," I wheezed due to the wind being knocked out of me.

"Youse okay down there?" Spot asked tiredly.

"Well I'm still alive," I trailed off.

"That's all dat mattahs," he mumbled before rolling over and going back to sleep.

Once I finally got to my feet, I grabbed my outfit that consisted of clothes from Spot and tiptoed towards the washroom to change. I tied my hair into two braids, pulling the hat over my head to deter the scorching sun.

I brought Clover outside to run around for a couple minutes before I had to put her back inside for the day. Leaving the lodge, I was greeted by Spot running a hand through his hair before putting his hat back on. He wordlessly began walking towards the distribution center as I trailed after him.

Once we got there, we were greeted by the angry shouts of the newsboys. Their voices blended together, carrying through the streets. Many people looked towards the commotion before uncaringly continuing on their way.

"Hey," Spot silenced the crowd, "What the hell's goin' on heah?"

"Those assholes raised da prices on us. Made it ten cents per hundred," one of the boys angrily explained. I didn't fully understand the weight of the problem, but I knew it had to be bad to cause this much emotion.

"Dammit," Spot cursed. He was pacing now, hand anxiously twisting the cane he had tucked in his suspenders.

He suddenly kicked a stray crate, startling me, "Damn them slimy bastards," he muttered to himself.

"What are you going to do?" I asked, the boys around us nodding in agreement. No one knew what to do about this change.

"Well wese ain't sellin for those bastards today, dats for damn shoah," he finally said before walking away from the center. The boys hesitantly looked at each other before following suit and dispersing.

I ran to catch up to Spot and his long strides. Once I fell into step with him, I caught sight of the angry glare on his face. I decided it would be best to keep quiet for now.

He led us to the docks, causing me to instinctively shuffle closer to him. I eyed the boys warily, hurrying to the end of the dock. He began ascending the tower of crates, making it look easy. I simply gazed up at him, unsure if I should join or find somewhere else to be.

"You can climb up heah ya know," he called down to me.

I clumsily pulled myself up until I was sat next to him. I sat with my hands in my lap, awkwardly glancing around as we sat quietly. I nervously glanced at him as he fiddled with his slingshot.

"Can I ask you something?" I questioned timidly.

"Youse is gonna anyways."

"W-what's your real name? Surely it's not Spot." He merely shook his head, pulling off his cap and placing it at his feet.

"But you said I could ask," I protested, wanting to know the answer.

"Yeah, and you asked. I nevah said Ise would answer it," he quipped with a shrug.