2: Becoming part 2

Jim rode his bike quickly. He zoomed down the street until he reached the dentist's office. "Don't go in there," the receptionist said. "He's with a patient."

Jim didn't listen and went inside the room anyway. Toby was there, laying in the chair again. "Tobes!" he said. Toby said something, but it was muffled, since he had a finger in his mouth. "Tobes!" Jim said, going over to him. "Tobes, Tobes, Tobes, Tobes! I have got to talk to you."

Toby's words were muffled. "What?" Jim asked.

"He said he's a little busy right now," the dentist told him.

"Okay," Jim said. "Remember that thing we found the other day? In the canals. The thing with the gem and stuff? It works! It works like crazy!"

Toby spoke more muffled words. "What?" Jim asked.

"He said, 'can't this wait, man?'." The dentist said.

"I've already waited until morning!" Jim said. "Who goes to the dentist two days in a row?"

More muffled words.

"' I want to get these braces off before I'm 30'."

More muffled words.

"' It's like my mouth Is a city engineering project'."

"How much longer is this going to take?" Jim asked.

***

"Eight hours!" Jim said. "I can't believe it takes eight hours."

They were now standing in Jim's kitchen. Toby was feeling around his braces. "Two molars," he said. "Plus, insertions, and some cleanup."

The kitchen consists of a white L-shaped counter, complete with cabinet doors in the inside walls. The edges of the counter tops are covered in teal tiles and the surface is composed of simple white tiles. In the end if the shortest section of the counter is a two door white fridge, decorated with a few magnets and notes, holding some dishes in top of it. To the left of the fridge is a stainless steel sink, surrounded by two soap dispensers da info the window, overlooking the sink. Atop the longer section of the counter is a wooden cutting board next to a red blender. At the very end of the counter too if a wood knife block, holding multiple black handles knives. The middle section of the counter is separated by a steel gray and black stone, situated above a glass door oven. Next to the oven is a white microwave set in the counters surface, as well as two wooden shelves above the microwave holding jars of spices and salt. The kitchens door consists of wooden floorboards, just like the rest is the house. But the main kitchen compartment sigh the cabinets and sink is surrounded by a grey diamond-tiled kitchen rug.

"Okay, Tobes," Jim said. "You are never going to believe this."

"My mouth still feels a little sore."

Jim got the amulet from his backpack. Toby started looking through the freezer. "Check this out," Jim said. He turned to Toby, holding the amulet out.

"Do you have any aspirin?" Toby asked.

"Tobes, pay attention," Jim told him. He held the amulet out. "For the glory of Merlin, Daylight is mine to-"

He got interrupted by the microwave dinging. Toby opened it and pulled out a slice of pizza. "Go on," he said.

"It worked last night," Jim said.

"Are you punking me right now?" Toby asked.

"Okay," Jim said. "Wait, wait."

He held it out again and the same light and mist came out of it, the armor appearing on him again. "Holy champignon!" the pizza that was in Toby's hand floated into the air.