41: Arcadia's Most Wanted

Bagdwella dug through a garbage can and took out a piece of garbage. "Hey!" Someone said. "Who's out there?"

Bagdwella ran through an alleyway before they could see her. She opened a dumpster and saw a troll inside. "Let me in!" she said.

"Get your own dumpster!" The troll said.

She went to a sewer and the troll inside said there was no room. Jim saw her and grabbed her before anyone saw her. Jim's phone rang and he stepped away to answer it. Blinky looked at Bagdwella. "What are you doing out an about this close to sunrise?" he asked.

"You expect me to stay put in this dirty old shack?" She asked. "I'm a proper lady."

"Apologies if these temporary accommodations don't meet your standards, but there are only so many places one can hide. If you prefer, there's a vacant, old port-o-john on Third and Main."

"I'll take the rust wagon."

"I just got tonight's final tally," Jim said, hanging up the phone. "Every troll accounted for, except for one. Which one's Glug?"

"You know Glug," Bagdwella said. "She's hairy, green, always in a tub."

"Right. Well, she's missing and that's kind of a big problem."

"Not to worry, Master Jim," Blinky said. "As long as she doesn't stir up any trouble, we shall locate her before—"

A woman on a TV interrupted him. "Trouble is brewing in Arcadia. A recent crime wave is terrorizing our city. Vandalism, break-ins, trespassers in the night, missing pets...as your re-elected councilwoman, I say no more! I am hereby stepping up police presence across Arcadia. To those responsible for these crimes, the law is coming. We will hunt you down."

***

"What are you babbling on about?" Usurna asked as she and Dictatious walked through the Heartstone. "You look like you've seen a gruesome."

"It spoke," Dictatious said. "It was her. The Pale Lady!"

"Oh, please, that ridiculous relic? This ruse may sway the Underlord—"

"This time, it is real. You do not understand. She reached out. I felt her."

"She is nothing but a foolish legend."

"Quiet! She might hear you."

"She is not here. She has no power over me. I'm so tired of hearing about Mor—"

"Don't! Don't say it!"

"Say what? Morgana. Morgana, Morgana, Morgana!"

The record player started playing and Morgana's voice was heard. "Call to me. Call to me, and it is yours."

***

Usurna walked into the forge, holding the record player, with Dictatious following her. "What are you doing?" Dictatious asked. "You can't—"

"Gunmar must not know of this," she said. "Whatever this is, nothing good can come of it."

"But it's a relic. Ancient, revered."

"And now, lost to the ages."

She dropped the record player off the edge of the forge.

"Dictatious!" Gunmar yelled. "Where is my advisor?"

Usurna grabbed Dictatious by the shoulders. "You and I must keep Gunmar on the path to victory. Our path."

***

Aaarrrgghh walked down the streets, sniffing the ground with Toby on his back. "See you soon, Pookie," Toby texted. "Can't wait for lasers. Kissy face, thumbs up, explosion GIF." His phone beeped and he read the text. "Rocketship, smiley cake? Is that good?"