14: Return of the Trollhunter

Toby ran down the street, almost getting hit by a car. The car stopped right before he hit Toby. The driver watched as Toby looked at the direction he came from, and then bolt in a different direction. A fiery shadow sped past, leaving three, small, fiery spots on the hood of the car. Toby ran faster down the street. "What are you doing, Tobes?" He asked himself. "Only an idiot races a creature with four legs. He tried jumping over a fence but ended up knocking the entire fence down. He turned around to see a creature that seemed to be made from fire in the shape of a lion. Toby backed up into a trash can as Jim drove over on his Vespa. "Hop on!" he said.

Toby climbed onto the Vespa. "Go, go, go!" he said.

"Adios, fire cat," Jim said. The fire cat got closer to them. "Maybe save the jokes for when we're not going to die?" Toby said as they sped off on Jim's Vespa. The fire cat chased after them. "I can't believe you took that stupid rock to your science class!" Jim said.

"First, it's not a rock. It's volcanic slag. And how was I supposed to know there was a flaming monster hiding in it?"

"You bought a magic rock off a troll named Mervin the Monster Dealer. What did you think would happen, Tobes?" The stopped in an alley, where Blinky and Aaarrrgghh were waiting for them. "Blinky, please tell me you got it!" Jim said.

"Of course, Master Jim!" Blinky said. "You've lured the luminaire right into our stratagem."

"Stra-ta-gem?" Aaarrrgghh asked.

"It means 'brilliant trap'," Blinky told him.

The fire cat found them and stepped closer to them. Blinky stood there, staring at it. "What are you waiting for?" Jim asked. "Throw it!"

"Master Jim," he said. "You said this was a luminaire when that is obviously an infernal hellheeti."

The hellheeti got closer to them and they started throwing nearby empty bottles at it.

"Should I punch it?" Aaarrrgghh asked.

"Yeah, let him unleash the fury!" Toby said.

"Not yet, Aaarrrgghh!" Blinky said.

"It came from a rock!" Jim said, throwing more empty bottles at it. "How many four-legged creatures come out of rocks?"

"As a matter of fact," Blinky said. "Eleven. Thirteen, if you consider—"

Aaarrrgghh hit his fists on the ground, his eyes starting to turn bright green again. "Can I punch it?" he asked again.

"Yes!" Jim and Toby said.

"No!" Blinky said.

Aaarrrgghh jumped in the air and punched it. Instead of dying, it got split into three hellheetis.

"I was going to add 'make sure you do not feed the fire by attacking it'!" Blinky said.

The three hellheetis surrounded them. "If we don't want to feed the fire, how do we put it out?" Jim asked.

"You have sour sap, dew dredge, Lumpkin oil—"

"What about water?"

"That's the obvious one. Where would we get enough of that?"

Toby pointed at a fire hydrant. "A hellheeti hydrant!"

"Aaarrrgghh?" Jim said.

Aaarrrgghh held out his hand. "On it."

Jim jumped onto his hand and he lifted him up. He held up the amulet in midair and the armor formed on him. Once he reached the ground, he sliced the hydrant with his sword and water shot up. He aimed the water toward the hellheetis, and they disappeared in a cloud of mist. Toby laughed. "Adios, fire cats."