44: The Exorcism of Claire Nunez

Morgana struggled through the chains that held her in the chair in her room. "Release these shackles!" her eyes glowed yellow and the chains spun around in circles as she floated in the air. "Or I'll wear your spine as my crown, peasants!"

Toby and Jim stood in front of her, holding bats. Toby had a pot on his head and Jim was in his armor. "That's a new one," Jim said.

"Her creativity knows no bounds," Toby said. Blinky ran into the room. "Apologies for my delay," he said. He pulled Morgana onto the ground and used the horngazel to keep the chains from spinning. "I was awaiting Aaarrrgghh's return. He never showed."

"I'm sure he's fine," Jim said. "We've got bigger problems."

They both looked at Morgana to see her trying to bite Toby's face. Jim pushed her back. "After I feast on your souls, agony will rule for a thousand millennia!" Morgana said.

"How long is a millennia?" Toby asked. "Like a million years?"

"I think it's a thousand," Jim said.

"Indeed, Master Jim," Blinky said.

"I would not like my soul to be feast upon," Toby said. "If that's alright with everyone in the room."

"What's wrong with her?" Jim asked.

"She is most certainly possessed," Blinky said.

"Does the name Morgana mean anything to you?"

"You cannot contain me, trollish welp," Morgana said. "I am the Eldritch Queen of the Seventh Plane. Baba Yaga. The Pale Lady. I have slain scores of Merlin's fools." She floated in the air again and books started circling around her. "I do know that name!" Blinky said. "This is ar worse than I could have ever imagined!" he pulled her to the ground again. "Morgan le Fay, Merlin's apprentice."

"Like Merlin to made my amulet?" Jim asked.

"I spit on his name as I spit on his grave," Morgana said.

"Sounds like they didn't get along," Toby said, hiding behind Jim.

"He thinks he can be rid of me? The fool. I will erase his name and all of his creations."

"The sorcerer and sorceress dueled for centuries," Blinky said. "Until Merlin sacrificed himself to banish her from our world. But now she's here."

"Oh, what little lambs," Morgana said. "My work here is done. Gunmar knows how to bring the Eternal Night. All you can do is sit back and watch the world as it burns."

"It's not possible," Blinky said. "With what relics? What magics?"

"Hi, Madam M," Toby said as Jim and Blinky walked across the room. "I'm Tobias."

"Can you save Claire?" Jim asked Blinky.

"If the Eternal Night comes to pass—"

"Blinky, can you save Claire?"

"I cannot."

"I think I know someone who can."

***

Strickler walked into Claire's empty house, holding a briefcase. He heard yelling and went up the stairs to see Morgana in her chair, floating around, Toby wrapped in a floating blanket, things flying in the air, and Jim and Blinky running around, trying to get everything back in place. "Morgana," Strickler said. "In the flesh."

"Well, that flesh isn't hers," Blinky said. "So, if you would be so kind, do tell us how to get her out of that poor girl!"

Strickler opened his briefcase and took out a skull. "Dim dock, Sa-tu lark!"