24: Angor Management

Strickler woke up in the middle of a room, tied up in a chair. "We survived the night with no sign of Angor Rot," Jim said. "Congratulations. Thought I'd bring you some breakfast," he held up a sock.

"I don't eat socks," Strickler said as Jim started untying him. "And I don't appreciate being tied up. I asked you to protect me. Not torture me."

"And I said I'd keep you safe. Not comfortable."

Strickler looked out the window and stood up. "Well, the sun is up," he said. "We'll have until sundown to get me as far away as possible."

"Fine. Let me call the team." He picked up his walkie talkie. "Trollhunter to Warhammer, you copy?"

"Oh, goodie," Strickler said. "The Puberty Patrol is on the case. I feel so safe."

"This is Warhammer," Toby said. "What's up, Jimbo?"

Strickler took the walkie talkie. "Do you really think your friends will have any chance against that killer?" he asked. "They'll be a liability."

Jim took the walkie talkie.

"May I remind you, You destroyed Angor's soul. He'll be out for blood, be it yours or theirs."

"Jim, hello?" Toby asked.

Jim picked up the walkie talkie. "Yeah, Tobes," he said. "Get everyone together. See what you can dig up on finding that last Triumbric stone."

"The ones the GumGums stole?"

"Yeah, I need you guys down in Trollmarket. I'll catch up when I can. Over and out."

"Smart choice," Strickler said. "For once, you're learning."

"For the record," he said. "Angor Rot destroyed his own soul."

Jim started looking through the cupboards and Draal walked over to them. "Why trust this changeling when all he does is betray you?" he asked.

"Because, unfortunately, I have to," Jim said, taking out a few cans. "Is this all the canned food we have?"

"You need more?" Draal smiled. "We should chop him into pieces and can him right now."

"Did you forget about the binding spell? If we hurt him, we hurt my mom."

"Say you do get him out of town. What's stopping Angor Rot from finding him?"

"I don't know, we disguise him."

"Disguise? Angor is a cunning and ruthless assassin. You think he'll be fooled by a hat and mustache?"

"Then, I guess we fight him. Far, far away from here."

"I do not like this plan. He could strike at any time, at any place. He would have the tactical advantage."

"I don't know, okay? I don't have all the answers!" he sighed "Sorry, I know it's not a well-thought-out plan, but we have to leave."

His phone rang and he picked it up, yawning. "Hey, mom. How are ya? I just got up."

"Sorry, I didn't come home, kiddo," She said. "It's been crazy over here at the hospital. Looks like my night shift is turning into a weekend shift."

"Nice arm," Strickler said, looking at Draal's fake arm. "Did you get that at the toy store?"

Draal growled and Jim shushed them. "You're gonna be gone all weekend?" he asked. "That sucks, mom."

"I know," she said. "But you can take care of yourself. Just hunker down in the house. Stay safe."