43: So, I'm dating a sorceress

Claire woke up in the morning and rubbed her eyes. She opened her window and sniffed the morning air. The sky was blue, the birds were singing. She did her makeup and got dressed.

"Morning, sunshine. Feeling better?"

"So much better," Claire said to Not-Enrique. "I feel like I slept for 100 hours."

"Right. And you weren't joyriding around town with your staff again?"

"Joyriding?"

"You left it laying around last night." he handed her Shadow Staff to her, which was shrunken down to fit in her backpack.

"Weird. I always keep it in here."

"I gots proof. Mr. Beary McBearface saw the whole thing," he hugged a teddy bear. "Turns out, he's a Nanny cam. Found out on accident. I had to, uh, erase a lot of footage." He took a cord from out of the teddy bear and plugged into a computer. It showed a video of her laying in bed. She started floating in the air. She laid back down in her bed and sat up. She grabbed her Shadow Staff, opened a portal, and went through it. "I don't remember any of that," Claire said. "I can't deal with this. I have to go to school."

She picked up her backpack and walked out of her room. "Something ain't right with you, Big Eyes," Not-Enrique said once she was out of the room.

***

Jim opened his locker and took out a few books. "Looks like everything is back to normal," Toby said. "Speaking of totally normal things, what's going on with Gunmar's Trollpocalypse?"

"Blinky says we can't throw a wrench in his plan until we know what it is," Jim said. "But Aaarrrgghh thinks he's close to uncovering something." He closed his locker and saw Claire. "Claire, you're back! Feeling better?"

"We need to talk," she said. "Do you remember how someone stole the election signs protecting the warehouse? I think I know who took them?"

"The night the GumGums attacked?" Jim asked.

"Claire!" Darci said. "You're back! You're not sick anymore, right?"

"Nope," Claire smiled.

"Awesome! That was one killer cold. We have to celebrate now that you're back."

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Toby asked.

"Double date!" they both said.

"If Claire's up for it, I am," Jim said.

"Yeah," Claire said. "It would be good to get out."

"See you guys tonight!" Darci said.

"I'll catch up with you," Claire said as Jim, Toby, and Darci walked away. She opened her locker and jumped. "What are you doing?"

"Keeping an eye on you," Not-Enrique said. "Do you think a date is such a good idea with all your weirdness going on?"

"I was probably just sleepwalking."

"Sleepwalking? I don't know."

"Thanks for looking out for me, but I'm fine. Now stay out of sight." She shut the locker on him and went to class.

***

"I think it's a good idea, Tobes," Jim said in gym class. "It'll be nice to have a night free from imminent danger."

"Never underestimate the danger of a double date. One wrong move and they'll dump us!"

"Tobes, relax. I think you're being a little overdramatic."