10: Young Atlas

Draal was training Jim in his backyard. Jim had his armor on. Draal has his own weapon against Jim's sword. Jim swung his sword around and fell, his sword disappearing. Draal pointed his weapon at Jim's neck. "I think I just broke my butt," Jim said.

"Where there is an actual battle, Trollhunter, you would have just been deprived of your right leg, three fingers, and your gronk-nuks."

"Sorry," he said. "I guess I'm just a little distracted tonight."

Draal attacked him again with his weapon. "Bular will use your distraction as an opportunity." He said. "To cleave your head from your shoulders." He knocked Jim down. "What has you distracted this night?" Draal asked, holding out his hand to help him up.

"You wouldn't understand," Jim told him, taking his hand. Draal pulled him by his hand and flipped him to the other side of him, putting his weapon against him. "I am the son of the former Trollhunter, Trollhunter." He said.

"I'm a little preoccupied about kissing Claire."

"I don't understand."

"The school play, Romeo and Juliet. We're rehearsing the kissing scene and I have to kiss her tomorrow."

"Kissing?" Draal picked him up and set him down on a rock. "What is this kissing?"

"When two people like each other, they put their mouths together. And depending on how much they like each other, the longer the kiss. Sometimes for hours."

"Disgusting. Killing sounds easier."

Jim's armor disappeared. "Draal, I really like her. If I blow our first kiss, I might not get a second or a third."

"You're afraid."

"I know, I know. The first rule: always be afraid. But that's with trolls, not girls. Girls are the opposite of trolls."

"I once had similar stirrings for an impure. I know of something that may help. If these 'girls' require you not to be afraid, then you need a Grit-Shaka."

"Is that a protein shake?"

"A grit-shaka is a totem used by the GumGums. If you wear it, it banishes all cowardice. Makes you fierce and ready for battle."

"You wouldn't happen to have one of these, would you?"

***

Strickler sat down on a bench, where Mrs. Nunez was playing peek-a-boo with Not-Enrique. She sat down next to them and opened a book. Mrs. Nunez's phone ran and she got up to answer it. "This is councilwoman Nunez."

Once she was gone, Strickler looked at Not-Enrique. "We are meeting today to activate the eyestone."

Not-Enrique changed into his troll form. "You mean, we're gonna finally be able to talk to the big honcho?" he asked. "I can't. Your prize pupil did a number on me new home and now I can't leave the house."

"You've been exposed?"

"What was I supposed to do? The fleshbag used a gaggletack on me!"

"Bular will be upset."

"This could be a good thing! They think I'm helping them. I've learned things."

"Like?"

"Mr. Six-eyes and Big Scary Name..."

"Blinky and Aaarrrgghh."

"Yeah, the big one don't talk much, but the smart one's certainly taken to the boy. You should have seen how he stood up for him against the old goat man. Mr. Trollmarket."