*Chapter 6*

*Next Day*

I slowly walk down the stairs, being careful with my wrapped up hand, about to eat breakfast. I had awaken with a sore body and an aching head. On top of that, I had a cold.

I sniffled and rubbed my bare arms wishing I had brought a long-sleeved shirt along with me. Another cold breeze hit my skin making me shiver lightly. "Morning." A hoarse voice said, snapping me back to my current reality.

"Morning." I sniffled and sent a small smile towards Sam who was seated at the table. He furrowed his eyebrows slightly and pushed his chair back before standing up and walking over.

I looked at him confused as he looked down at me before placing his hand on my forehead. He frowned a little and gently grabbed my face before leaning in and placing his lips on my forehead.

I felt a little blush creep up my cheeks before he pulled away. "You have a fever." He sighed in sympathy and grabbed my hand before dragging me upstairs. I blushed again, glancing at his hand in mine, making me smile a little.

We ended up in the room and he walked over to his closet before shuffling through it a little. I sat on the end of his bed and watched him, until he turned around holding a blue colored hoodie.

"It's a little big on you but it's all I have." He said, chuckling nervously. "Thanks."I sniffled and sent a small smile. He handed it to me and walked out so I can change into it.

I stripped off my shirt, the smile never leaving my face as I put on the hoodie. Warmth immediately filled me and I put the hood up as I snuggled into the comfy and soft texture. I walked back down and sat down in front of Sam who was still eating.

I put a little bacon on my plate and began eating, when I noticed Sam's soft stare on me. I looked up at him a little and he quickly looked away. I noticed his lips slightly curved into a small smile, confusing me. Yet, I didn't question it.

-
I look up in the mirror after washing my face, and surely I looked pale. Sam noticed and stood up from his bed before walking over. "Take today off. You seem really ill." He said softly, making me look over at him.

"N-No, it's fine." I retorted and walked past him, when he caught my wrist stopping me. "You need rest Colby. You'll only get worse if you're out and exposed to the cold wind." Sam sighed as he looked me in the eyes.

I sighed and. nodded slowly before walking over to my bed once he released his light grip on me. "Get some rest and I'll go make you some soup. It'll make you feel better." He smiled lightly and I thanked him before snuggling into the covers.

*Sams Pov*

  I head up the stairs, being careful with the hot plate of soup in my hands, and enter the room. I gently close the door behind me and turned back around to see Colby fast asleep.

I sighed softly and placed the soup on the table near his bed. I grabbed the blanket off my bed and placed it over his shivering form. "Poor baby." I whispered and gently moved the hair out of his face.

I decided to leave him be until a little later. I walked over to my bed and laid down before grabbing my phone, stuffed under my pillow. I switched it on and stared at the photo displayed as my background.

It was a photo of my lover and I. His name was Jake. I was deeply in love with him until he left me. He left because of death. For, death ripped him away from me; my only source of happiness at the time.

I remember meeting Jake in the fields. He was growing crops just like me, when his cruelty filled stepmom walked out, yelling at him to get back inside. I felt the pain he felt. I felt the sadness he felt once he waved to me and walked back inside.

I had a feeling he was being abused and surely, I was right. Yet I knew I had to take him in. Save him. So that's what I did. I took him into my home where only my grandfather and I lived.

Jake's stepmother never even cared to look for him which left both Jake and I in relief. Now looking back at the memories we shared together, breaks my heart. And the fact that Colby reminds me of him so much breaks me even more.

I sighed and shut off my phone, not having the heart to look through our other past photos. It just brings me back to my old state. Depression. And it hurts. It hurts so much.