Chapter 11

At around 8, after like 3 coffees, I get ready and go to work. I checked myself in the mirror before leaving and with my dark eyes and eye bags, I look like a walking corpse. The faint scratch marks along my body, in my arms are faintly visible but I guess others are used to seeing these by now.

I'm tired as hell cause I didn't get much sleep last night but I didn't want to skip work. I don't think I can stand to be alone now. If I stay, I would just keep on thinking about everything. I have actually done a lot of thinking last night. I just need a distraction from all of it.

Work went fine. I was glad when I didn't get to go waitressing cause I was sure customers would get scared of me. Because of how I look like a zombie. I felt so lost and like emotionally down that even smiling seemed to take more strength than I can muster at the moment.

The day went smoothly with no distractions and so did the next two days.

Chelly called me a few times with updates about "Veron's, MIA." I went into the locker room when she called me to say that he went home and according to rumors he is going somewhere everyday noon. But no one knows where that is exactly. He doesn't come to school either and his parents are furious with him that his car was taken away and so was his credit cards. She also told me that Ronica is furious with Veron because of his behavior. 

"For some reason, he changed a lot since the rumor." Chelly said. "No one knows what went wrong with him."

When Chelly said how Veron goes somewhere every noon, a chill rain through me. My apartment is free every noon cause I'm working and he could obviously come there. He could pick the door lock to enter and no one would look for him there cause no one knows about me. He came in last night as well so he can surely do it again. These past days, I didn't notice anything different in my apartment though. 

Well... Maybe he doesn't come there. Maybe he just go to a motel or some place. I don't know. But he can't come to my apartment!

"Hey. Hope." Beth came into the locker room right after I kept the phone with Chelly. "Woah! You are as white as a paper. What's wrong?" I look up at her and try to smile through all of the things I'm feeling.

"Nah. It's nothing much." I shrug and smile nervously trying to stop my hands from shaking.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" Beth asks with a serious tone. I know she isn't just talking about right now.

I know I can trust her but I guess I don't want her to know how messed up my life actually is, so I just smile and nod.

We both go back to work but I couldn't concentrate on anything. So that noon, I asked Mr. Travor if I could get an hour break to go home and come back. Even if I'm scared find out the truth, I can't stop the curiosity building inside me.

It was pretty hot outside so I walked fast and got to my place pretty quickly. I reach my door and put the key into the lock but it was already unlocked. I count to three and hold my breath before opening the door.

Its empty. Everything looks the same. I sigh in relief. Maybe I forgot to lock today morning when I left even though I checked 3 times to see if I locked it properly.

As I leave the keys in the key basket, I hear the shuffling of sheets and my movements instantly stop. I look towards my bedroom but with the half wall, I can't see anything on my bed. Listening closely, I can hear a faint snoring and my heart started beating so fast. I grab the candle holder that was on the stool next to me and hold it with both hands before slowly walking towards the bedroom.

I know it's Veron but that doesn't stop me from being careful and safe.

Sprawled on the bed, tucked in like a burrito is actually Veron, sleeping peacefully. He looks calm and innocent sleeping like a little boy that my heart wants to warm up towards him but I shake all thoughts away and remember what I have to do. I have to get answers from him.