• Epilouge •

• Ash •

Throwing in my last shirt, I double checked my bunk before zipping up my duffel bag and heading out of my empty cabin.

Outside, campers were running around, hugging each other goodbye and waving as they entered their cars. In the distance, Zuri was hugging Tiffany close to her. Emma and Lou were saying goodbye, much like Jorge, Ravi, and Xander.

"Hey."

I turned around, smiling weakly at Griff. "Hi."

I dropped my duffel bag to the ground, wrapping my arms around my boyfriend as tight as I could. We both squeezed each other. I fisted Griff's shirt till my knuckles went white. Finally, after a few seconds of hugging, I pulled back.

"I'm going to miss you a lot," I told him truthfully.

He nodded. "Same here."

"At least I have your sweatshirt," I shrugged.

He pulled out his phone, quickly snapping a photo of me.

"Hey!" I exclaimed.

"Aw," he chuckled. "Aren't you beautiful?"

I blushed, kissing him on the cheek. I studied his wavy brown hair, and the way it flopped over his forehead and greenish-hazel eyes that I could stare into for an eternity. He had the cutest dimples, and pretty muscular arms. Speaking of his arms, Griff's were covered in so many friendship bracelets.

A blue and green friendship bracelet that Jorge put together for him. A purple one that Zuri and Tiffany gave him as a thank you for helping them decorate for the Kikiwaka dance. Beside it, a red one he won this summer.

And then there were four that I had made him.

The first one was the teal bracelet with his name spelled out in beads that I had made him as a gift at the beginning of summer. Next to it, there was a green one I made and a black one I made: just because.

That last one was one that, ever since I gave it to him, I'd never seen Griff take it off. It was a big one: three shades of yellow woven together with care. In the middle of the bracelet were beads that had numbers on them.

The number made our anniversary date. 7/25/18.

"Promise to face time everyday?" I asked him, trying not to focus too hard on the bracelets.

Griff nodded, taking my hands in his. I saw his eyes go glossy, and he sniffed. "Yeah, uh, we'll talk."

I smiled. "I hope you have fun, you know? With Carlos and Sofi? They were really sweet."

A tear dropped down my cheek, and upon seeing it, Griff let his begin to fall freely. "Sofi and Carlos love you."

I let out a choked laugh, turning around when I heard the honk of a horn.

Just a few feet ahead of us, the familiar black limo awaited. I glanced around the camp, but my siblings were no where to be found. They must already have been in the limo.

I pulled Griff in for one last kiss, cupping his cheeks in mine. The feeling of his lips on mine felt so familiar, yet so far away already. I savored the moment, knowing I'd have to wait another 10 months to get it back.

When we pulled apart, I grabbed my duffel bag off the floor.

"Goodbye, Griff. I love you."

"Bye, Ash. Love you more."

His call was faint.

Once at the limo, I carelessly threw my bag in the trunk before hopping into the back seat of the car. Luke was there, already holding out his arms. I crashed into his embrace, hugging him tightly as I sobbed into his shirt.

• Griff •
• February 5th •

The sunlight flew in from my window, blinding my slightly as I groaned, covering my face with my pillow. My alarm blared through my room. Its obnoxious beep! beep! made me groan again. I shut it off, finally stepping out of bed.

My bare feet padded against the floor of my bedroom as I made my way to my desk. I grabbed my sharpie, opening the bright yellow notebook before adding a tally mark to the other 184 that covered the lined page. Sighing, I set the sharpie down.

Above my desk, hung neatly, was a picture of us.

Ash was on my back, her mouth open wide in shock. My arms were wrapped around the underside of her knees. My face looked scrunched up, like I was laughing.

I remembered the day like it was yesterday. That day was a normal day at camp. We were about to go on a hike, and Ash complained that her legs felt sore. So, I jokingly picked her up off the ground in a piggy-back ride. Lou just happened to be taking pictures for the Camp Kikiwaka yearbook that day, so while she was at it she snapped a picture of us.

I inhaled a sharp breath before grabbing my phone off my desk, unplugging the charger cable.

Opening up texts, I sent my usual text to Ash:

Me
good morning, cutie ❤️
sent 6:36 A.M

I know, I know. Ash isn't going to reply for another three hours, since she's three hours behind in time. But, that morning text will be waiting for her right when she wakes up.

I set my empty bowl in the sink, feeling my phone vibrate in my hand.

Carlos😁
were here

hop on your bike let's go
sent 7:03 A.M
read 7:03 A.M

Smiling, I stuffed my phone in my pocket, exiting through the garage. I grabbed my bike as I went. When I left the garage, Carlos and Sofi were both propped on their bikes.

"Took you long enough!" Sofi complained as we began the ride to school. "How long does it take you to get ready?"

"It's not that he takes forever getting ready," Carlos muttered. "He's too busy talking to Ashlyn!"

"Shush," I blushed. "I already told you, it's like, 5:00 in New York right now.

"No excuse," Carlos teased.

Sofi smiled. "When does camp start again?"

"Soon," I answered. "But not soon enough."

Later that day, in Math, I could feel my phone buzz in my pocket. My hand shot up, causing Mr. Smith to pause his lecture to call on me. "Yes, Griffin?"

"You can call me Griff," I mumbled. "May I go to the bathroom?"

Mr. Smith sighed. "Make it quick."

I rushed out of my chair, practically skipping out of the classroom and into the hall where I whipped out my phone.

Sure enough, on the screen, was the notification.

love of my life💞
morning! miss you :(

only four more months

"Yeah," I said to myself. "only four more months."

fin.

-maya❤️