cheryl and toni forever

A/N: jumping ahead into the future with this one. and chapters from here on out will be a mix of past, present, and future.
xxx

Toni rolled over in her and Cheryl's old bed, opening her eyes in the darkness to see her girlfriend still sleeping beside her. A tired smile crossed her face as she watched the redhead's nostrils flare. She missed this. She missed waking up with her. And she wanted to make the most of their two weeks of spring break together before they had to part ways and return to school. They were nearing the end of their last year of college and graduation was just around the corner. Toni couldn't believe they'd been together for six years. It somehow felt like an eternity and only a month at the same time. It felt like they'd only gotten together yesterday, but being with Cheryl made it feel like they'd been together forever.

She wanted forever.

Reaching out, Toni ran a polished fingertip down the bridge of her girlfriend's nose, giggling a little when she scrunched up her face with a sleepy whimper.

"Baby, you wanna go watch the sunrise?" she whispered, moving her hand to her cheek, feeling the warm, soft skin under her palm. Cheryl nodded, leaning into her touch without making any effort to get up. College had taken a bit of a toll on her and she hadn't exactly been the early riser she once was. She hadn't seen the sunrise in years unless she was out late enough to see the sun come up the next day. "Come on, then, cutie," Toni chuckled, leaning in to kiss her pouted lips.

Cheryl rubbed her eyes as she got up, stretching slowly before taking Toni's hand, following her out of the room. The brunette couldn't help but swoon at how cute she looked in an oversized NYU t-shirt and baggy plaid pajama pants, rubbing her eyes tiredly as she held tightly to her hand. Fuck she was so in love with her.

Leading her up to the attic (which still freaked her out), Toni let her go up the stairs to the roof first, smiling when Cheryl kept a tight hold on her hand. Her girl had always been clingy, and she never had a problem with it. Unless she was preventing her from getting up when she had to pee. And even then she thought her girlfriend was the cutest.

Cheryl took a seat in her regular lawn chair when they reached the roof, relaxing back with her feet up as Toni sat in the one beside her. "Never thought you would be the one waking me up to watch the sunrise," she mumbled over to the shorter girl with a sleepy smile.

"I know how much you love it. And I was already up," the brunette shrugged.

"Why?"

"Just...couldn't sleep. Too stressed about my midterm results," she lied, twiddling her fingers together in her lap as the sky started to lighten up.

"It's spring break, TT, we're supposed to be relaxing," Cheryl reached over for her hand again and linked their fingers together, leaving their hands dangling between the lawn chairs.

Toni watched as Cheryl turned her face towards the sky, watching her as she watched the sun slowly make its appearance over the horizon. The soft morning light illuminated her face that made Toni almost forget why she really brought her up here in the first place.

"Hey," she squeezed her hand gently, getting her attention back, "You know I love you, right?"

"Of course," Cheryl smiled warmly over at her, squeezing her hand back, "I love you too, TT."

Toni smiled, watching as her girlfriend turned to face the sun again. She loved the way her lips curved up into a smile as the sky turned fiery with oranges, yellows, and pinks. It was now or never. This was definitely the right time. Biting her lip, she checked that the velvety little box was in the pocket of her lounge pants before getting off her chair to sit on the edge of Cheryl's. The whole getting down on one knee thing was a bit too cheesy for her taste. "Marry me, then."