cheryl, toni, and their daughters

xxx

Cheryl escorted the girls through the front door, reminding them to wipe their feet as they took their jackets off. "Homework, then shower after dinner, okay?" Cheryl reminded Adeline, who just nodded as she walked away, not looking up from her iPod. That girl was eight going on sixteen lately.

"What about me?" Rosie looked up at her with her big brown eyes, her hair up in a neat bun from her ballet class. She wanted to take hip hop like her big sister, but had to wait another few years to join that class.

"You go play until dinner time," the redhead leaned over to kiss her sweetly before the giggling four year old ran up to her room.

With a tired sigh, Cheryl hung up her spring coat and made her way down the hall to the kitchen. It was Toni's night to cook dinner while she had brought the girls to their dance classes. She didn't smell anything. She heard a bit of a ruckus, but it didn't sound like the usual clanging of pots and pans.

"Toni?" she approached the doorway to the kitchen, only to be blocked by her wife who had a suspicious smile on her face.

"Hey, baby," the brunette smiled nervously, her eyes darting back and forth as she completely blocked Cheryl from entering the kitchen. "How'd the girls do at dance?"

"They did fine...What's going on?"

"Whatdya mean?"

"You're acting weird, what did you do?"

Toni was about to answer when a small bark came from behind her, making her eyes widen as she tried to fake a cough to cover it up. "Nothing, just kinda coming down with a cold or something." Even if her lie was convincing, the secret was out when a little dalmatian puppy zoomed past their feet from behind her and into the living room.

"TT, wh-"

"Dammit, I thought I locked the baby gate," Toni groaned, running after the puppy behind her while Cheryl stood, stunned, in place.

"Antoinette Topaz, please tell me you didn't bring home a dog without telling me," the redhead turned around slowly, lingering in the living room entryway as Toni wrangled a pillow from the puppy's mouth.

"I can explain," Toni pulled the couch pillow from the puppy, but he bowed down playfully in front of her, barking at her to give it back.

"Oh my god!" the loud, shrill voice of their oldest daughter sounded from the top of the stairs followed by her footsteps bounding down, heading straight for the puppy on the floor, "He's so cute! Are we keeping him?" She cradled him in her arms and let him lick her face. They hadn't seen Addie smile like this in over a week since their hamster died.

"A puppy!" Rosie's squeaky voice rang out before either of the women could answer.

Cheryl watched the two girls cuddle and play with the little dalmatian, taking a few glances at Toni to let her know that she was upset, but she couldn't deny how happy the girls looked. They had taken the loss of their hamster surprisingly hard. Cheryl had never had a pet, there for had never lost one. She empathized with her daughters, though she couldn't really feel sad over the rodent.

"Well, I dunno, guys. I don't think Mommy wants a dog," Toni sighed dramatically, watching the kids from the opposite side of the living room from Cheryl.

"Mommy, please can we keep him, we'll take care of him! Promise!" Addie clutched the puppy closer to her chest possessively, looking at her mother with pleading eyes that had a history of getting her what she wanted.

"Mommy," Rosie took the puppy from her sister, walking up to Cheryl with it, "Look at his face." She had a serious look on her own face as she tried to convince her.