Chapter 11

Today was a day Grace had been looking forward to for a couple of weeks, ever since Roman had put forward the idea that she might join him and Layla at the Tampa Bay Rays' last game of the season.

Getting alone well with Layla was going to be of vital importance in terms of making a success of her relationship with Roman, Grace knew all too well. So far, things were going like a dream. She felt like she was in love with him, even if it was too soon to tell him as much. However, if things went badly today, it would be a significant problem. Grace wasn't too concerned though. She had always liked kids, and felt confident in her ability to connect with Layla without coming across like she was forcing the issue.

Thinking that she had it all under control was one thing. Having it pan out like that in reality was another. The time was now at hand, for Grace saw a car pulling up outside her house as she looked out of her kitchen window. Roman was a few minutes early. This time, for obvious reasons, he had not come in his two seat Ford GT. Grace watched him get out of a four door silver Mercedes.

"Another nice ride," she said to herself as she left the kitchen, waiting to open the front door when Roman rang the bell.

Outside, she heard a couple of car doors bang shut. Moments later she Roman's voice, speaking to Layla. "Do you want to ring the bell?"

"Okay!" came the reply. Layla sounded excited. That was good, Grace thought. She had been hoping that Layla wasn't going to be shy about meeting her. Possibly she took after her dad in terms of confidence.

The bell rang. Grace left it a moment before walking forward and opening the door. "Hi!" she said, smiling broadly, first at Roman, then at Layla, who stood there in a kids Rays jersey and black pants. She had long, curly brown hair, and a cute, shy smile on her face.

"Hey," Roman said warmly. "Layla, say hi to Grace."

"Hi," Layla said, speaking a little timidly.

"Awesome to meet you, Layla!" Grace said. "Ready to go and watch some baseball?"

"Yes! The Rays are going to win!" Layla said, drawing smiles from both adults.

"Of course they are," Roman agreed. "They always win when we go to the game, don't they?"

"No. They lose a lot," Layla said deadpan.

Grace laughed as she gave her pockets a check to make sure she had everything. "Okay, I'm ready to go."

As Grace stepped out of the house and set about locking the door, Layla ran for the car.

"Not into the road, Lay!" Roman called out.

"I'm not! I'm going to the car!" Layla called, stopping on the sidewalk.

Grace laughed. "I adore her already, Rome," she said quietly. "And I missed you!"

"I missed you too," Roman said, giving her a peck on the lips as they walked towards the car. "Layla couldn't wait to meet you. She spent all morning asking me about your favourite Rays players, which wrestlers you like, all sorts of questions."

"Does she know how wrestling works?" Grace asked urgently, keeping her voice down. It was something she hadn't considered until now.

Roman shook his head, a mischievous grin on his face.

When they reached the car, Layla walked around to the front passenger door.

"In the back, please, sweet pea," Roman said to her.

Grace was tempted to tell Layla that she was okay to ride in the front if she wanted to, but she knew that it was not her place to go against what Roman told his daughter to do.