twenty-eight

I coughed weakly, not having the energy to move. I had been here for a few days, I think. However, I couldn't be sure because there are no windows in the dungeons. I hadn't eaten or drank anything since a few hours before I was put in here, and I could feel my body shutting down completely.

Draco had never even dared to come downstairs into the dungeons, and I let my mind wander for hours on end about whatever Voldemort had told him. He might have told him that I left, or that I was dead, or that I hated him, or something, but whatever was said probably hurt him.

I sucked in my breath as another as another blast of pain shot through my body from my stomach and liver. No food, no water, all pain.

I sighed and rolled over onto my side again, trying to ignore the constant pain I was feeling.

I didn't move when I heard frantic footsteps running through the dungeon.

A pair of hands gripped the bars to my cell tightly and I heard the keys jangle in the lock. I barely had the energy to move, so I didn't bother to get up.

"Stand up, you incompetent girl," Bellatrix said harshly, grabbing my arm and yanking me to my feet. I almost fell back down, and I watched my vision go black. I caught my balance and started walking with Bellatrix.

"You're weak," she said angrily. "If you're going to help us win the war, you need energy. Why didn't you eat anything, stupid girl?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but thought it better to stay silent.

Bellatrix pulled me through the dungeon, up the stairs, and through the hall. She roughly shoved me into the kitchen, causing me to stumble into the kitchen island.

"Kelsie!" she screeched. A small House-Elf appeared. "Make something filling for Y/n, immediately." Kelsie nodded and got to work. Bellatrix turned back to me, anger clear in her face. "As soon as you have eaten, Apparate to the gates of Hogwarts. The battle is starting. Surprisingly, the Dark Lord thinks you, of all people, could be useful, so hurry up, you weak girl."

With a pop, she Apparated. I shook my head weakly against her remarks, not caring. I was left alone with the small House-Elf, who was busy cooking something up in the kitchen. I slumped down onto the floor, lack of energy suddenly hitting me.

"Miss, are you alright?" Kelsie said, alarmed.

I weakly nodded. "Oh, yeah . . . I'm fine," I spat out, "just haven't e--eaten in a week."

Kelsie immediately shoved a plate of food into my hands. "Eat this. I'll get you a change of clothes. And a hairbrush."

I grabbed the utensils and ate the food quickly, hunger growling from my empty insides.

Kelsie appeared in front of me once again, holding black jeans and a white, button up shirt. I recognised the outfit from my school uniform. I would wear this outfit under my Hufflepuff robes.

A wave of nostalgia overcame me as I thought about school. I thanked Kelsie and went to change into my old school uniform.

After eating, changing, and trying out my wand with a few spells to make sure I could still use it, I Apparated to the gates of Hogwarts. I was still far from the gates, due to the protective spells, but I could already smell the smoke. I started making my way towards the school, fear filling my body. I entered the gates and suddenly, Draco was at my side.

"Where were you? Why did you leave? I thought we were in this together." His voice was full of hurt and emotion, and I instantly felt bad.

"The Dark Lord put me in the dungeon because I saved my dad. I--I would never leave you, I just wanted to save him, I'm so sorry, Draco, please--"