3

Eddy thinks he's generally good at keeping his cool. If there's a fire, you can hose it down (or, you know, run away). If a string snaps on your violin during a performance, just shift and channel ling ling from within (even if you still have an internal major meltdown like Eddy does, that's a-okay too). If you suddenly develop weird heart palpitations whenever your best friend gets a little too close for comfort, then ignore it! Go see a doctor! Maybe use that time unnecessarily freaking out to do something more productive, like practicing! Practice your problems away!

Oh that's good advice. Maybe he can put that on their new line of merch.

"Eddy."

Eddy nearly jolts out of his chair when Brett presses the cold milk boba tea against his cheek. Thankfully, no, he doesn't yeet his body off the chair and end up embarrassing himself in front of the whole shop. He did maybe produce a curt yelp, but that's to be warranted. Brett gives Eddy an odd look but to be fair, a person shouldn't just sneak up on people like that when they're busy contemplating on life and stuff. Eddy tells Brett as much but Brett just snorts at the excuse and sits next to him, setting down the drinks they ordered onto the table.

"It's not my fault you're spacing out way more than usual. You should've seen yourself earlier, it's like you were staring straight into the milky way." Brett says, imitating the face Eddy was making moments ago. Eddy tries very hard not to laugh.

"That's my brainstorming face! Excuse me for being a great, dedicated work partner here." Eddy says, lifting his nose up in a pompous manner. "My creative juices were just spilling with brilliant ideas left and right before you smacked it all away."

"No, really. If a conductor saw that face you were making during rehearsals, oh man."

"Please. I'm a professional, Brett." Eddy pouts, cheeks puffed out. "However...if I'm forced to sit in on a viola solo, then that's a whole different story."

Brett laughs and it's a nice laugh, Eddy thinks. Even when his jokes might be lame or overused to the point it's beaten into the ground, he can always count on Brett to react the best. It's what makes them click so well, their shared special brand of humor.

Eddy gets lost in his thoughts again. He can tell, only because Brett had poked Eddy's cheek and startled Eddy's composure for the second time that day. "What?" Eddy looks at Brett, giving him a cautious quizzical look. Brett doesn't really do things like that so Eddy isn't sure what to make of it.

Brett stares at him for a bit and Eddy's not sure why he's nervous all of a sudden. Brett then tilts his head and hums, thoughtful. "You finally looked at me."

Eddy blinks, a sudden rush of emotions swirling uncomfortably in his gut. Since that dumb staring contest they did a few days back, Eddy may have subconsciously avoided looking at Brett every time they're together. It's because this gross, fluttering feeling in his chest doesn't go away unless he does but he never realize how bad it looks to the other party. Eddy feels guilty, all of a sudden, for making Brett worry about something he shouldn't have to.

"Oh, yeah?" Eddy says, throwing a friendly arm around Brett's shoulder. "I mean, if you want to stare into my deep, beautiful chocolate brown eyes that badly, I'll let you. Did someone say staring contest round 2?"

Brett snickers, and Eddy is relieved. Eddy doesn't ever want to make Brett feel like he's responsible for the stupid way Eddy is acting, that he's upset with him or quietly resenting him or anything like that. It could never be that. "Are you even sure you have what it takes?" Brett says, fluttering his lashes as if to show off. "I mean, if you want to taste defeat again you're more than welcome to."

"I'll make you eat your words," Eddy says ominously, like a villain from a comic book that's swearing the day of his revenge. Eddy cackles to be extra™ and Brett grins, their friendship set back to that comfortable, easy-going nature that Eddy wants to hold onto forever.

"So. Beautiful chocolate brown eyes huh?"

Eddy groans. "Please just forget it...okay look, maybe I got it from a romance novel that I may or may not have been reading for fun, and they may or may not be always describing the characters like that but - hey! There's some pretty interesting stuff out there okay!"

Brett listens to Eddy whine as he laughs and laughs; a nice deep, rich tone Eddy doesn't think he can ever get tired of.