12

The jetlag hits them hard for the next few days after their return. They spend most of the time vegetating and recuperating from the travel, and the other times productively planning out some special episodes for TSV. Ray is scheduled in three weeks from now for a concert in Brisbane, and he agreed to meet up with the two of them to hang out and maybe record a few things for fun. The former members of 2cellos mentioned that they'd also be popping by that same week, both Luka and Stjepan telling them that they're more than happy to pick up the cello again for a collab. It's all very exciting news, but...

Brett looks over to Eddy who's completely dazed out, staring at his laptop screen with clouded eyes and a vacant expression to go along with it, reminiscent of the time he had to sit in on an excruciatingly long ballet rehearsal back in his orchestra days.

Brett nudges Eddy with his foot. "Let's get some air."

Eddy groans at the idea, flopping over the table like a limp noodle. "Dude, I know you. You'll say it's just gonna be a short walk, but catch us hiking up the tallest hill in the city two hours later."

"Come," Brett stands up with a hop, not denying the accusation. "I think we both need it." He tugs at Eddy's hoodie as he passes by, pulling it up and over Eddy's head.

Eddy groans again, but Brett knows he'll come along with him.

He always does.

*

They're both lying outside on the top of the hillside that overlooked the city, tired from the long hike they had to make to get to that very point. The sun is setting and the cool breeze dances in the air and sweeps across the grassy field where they lay, making the sweat on Brett's skin feel a little less gross and a bit more bearable.

Contrary to many of the times they're fooling around and cracking lame jokes on stage and off, echoes of laughter and shoulder nudges in between each sarcastic jab and silly remark, there's also the more serene, quiet moments that they share. It's quiet mainly because at this point Eddy is dozing off, not quite asleep, but not paying attention to anything else either. His eyes are closed and he's probably daydreaming about food, or maybe musing about the cringey violin performance in that b-rated movie they had to sit through last night for their upcoming roasting session.

Brett's twirling a lone dandelion between his fingers while observing Eddy's expression, warm and at ease even when he's not conscious of it. Without much thought, Brett reaches over and tucks the dandelion behind Eddy's ear, watching in amusement as Eddy scrunches his nose a little, like he's about to sneeze, but after a sniff his body relaxes.

A heartbeat. Then two. Unconsciously, Brett almost cups Eddy's cheek in his hand. Almost brushes his thumb over dry, chapped lips. Almost thinks about kissing him again.

["I'm not..." saying it was a mistake. "I wasn't..." sure if you felt the same. But if...if maybe —]

Eddy's words come back to him, sharp and clear: "don't think we have to make a big deal out of something that doesn't matter." Back then, the confession that Brett held onto dies immediately on his tongue. Eddy's eyes, silently pleading Brett to let it all go.

doesn't matter. no meaning. meant nothing.

Brett rolls onto his back, closes his own eyes.

Eddy wants to stay as friends. So a friend, Brett will be.