10

From the moment Brett met Eddy, they became pretty much inseparable.

They've been glued at the hip since forever to the point where Brett can't remember a time when they weren't together. Eddy's presence became a natural part of Brett's life; like how plants need sunlight to grow, or how a bow needs rosin for sweet friction. It's just facts.

So it's only natural that they'd pick up on small nuances about each other; if something might be slightly off-key, out of tune.

Brett isn't blind. He notices the way Eddy's been acting kind of weird, but the guy's good at keeping things under wraps and yeah, Brett gets it, it's hard to tell your best friend everything in the world sometimes and Brett can give him the space and time he needs to work it out. Whenever Eddy's ready to reach out, he'll be there to listen and support him through it all...if he ever decides to tell him, that is. Eddy's doing a superb job at playing it normal, though, so Brett plays along to his tune.

It's the least he can do, as a friend.

*

Too bad it was a game of Mario Kart that screws them both over.

*

Eddy cackles as his character drops another banana peel on the road, eliciting a noise of frustration from his competitor hanging off the edge of the bed. Brett watches the screen helplessly as the red shell he sent forward burst against that same damn banana, a fruitless attempt to dethrone Eddy from the race.

"Either physics took a vacation or those banana peels are on steroids," Brett mutters as he watches the ranking line-up on screen, frowning as he sees Princess Peach take up first place.

"What do you even know about physics?" Eddy counters, ducking as Brett takes a swipe at him with a pillow.

"Enough to know turtle shells aren't supposed to explode from hitting bananas."

Eddy simply grins. "The power of potassium, go figure." With a roll of his shoulders and ignoring Brett's complaints, Eddy musters enough strength to crawl onto his bed with the goal of smushing his face into the soft, fluffy pillows scattered across the headboard. "This is coming from a game that has a racetrack made of rainbows in space," he continues as he sluggishly turns over, letting out a small grunt when Brett half-heartedly whacks the pillow against his stomach. "You can't logic your way out of this one, bro."

Brett rolls his eyes and slumps back against the pillows next to Eddy, staring at the screen as it shows some of the highlights of the race. He isn't mad so much as frustrated from seeing Eddy's smug look shooting his way, coupled with that ridiculous eyebrow waggle he does when he wants to particularly get under Brett's skin. Brett's not one to fall for such obvious bait, but no one ever said he couldn't play one for one.

"I guess you should just stick to the strings instead of the streets, huh?" Eddy goads.

And alright, that does it.

Eddy finds himself yelping as the older boy pounces on him in one fell swoop, tackling him off guard. "Repent for your arrogance." Fingers suddenly rakes up against his stomach and dances across his sides, and Eddy can't help but burst into laughter as Brett proceeds to tickle him in the name of revenge.

"Wait no, I'm sorry! Ahaha, I'll stop! I'll repent! Brett!!" Eddy stifles his laugh as he tries to wiggle away, but Brett isn't having any of that.

Eddy flails around like a fish which Brett finds amusing as he tries to hold him down, his own strength more than enough to hold out against Eddy's sensitive body. Brett eventually eases up on the onslaught, only because he's pretty sure he's a handful of tickles away from making Eddy cry from laughing too hard. Eddy pants slowly, trying to catch his breath, chest heaving up and down as he regulates his breathing to something more manageable. He tilts his head back as he does so, exposing his neck that was swept with sweat along the curve of his shoulder. When Eddy finally opens his eyes and looks up at him, Brett freezes. It's as if he's been caught staring at something he's not supposed to.

Brett starts to feels Eddy squirm underneath him and it makes his chest churn fiercely. His hold on Eddy's wrist tightens. "Stop moving" he says, because it's distracting, and he didn't mean to make it sound stern or commanding, but his voice thickens just so and Eddy, wide-eyed and lip-bitten, listens. Eddy let's his gaze linger on Brett, and Brett doesn't...he doesn't know what to do with any of that. He's more aware, though, of Eddy's warm body underneath him. The heavy press of their hips. The fact that he still hasn't loosen his grip and gotten off his friend was another thing, but his brain decides to malfunction right at this moment and leave him with nothing but pure, uninhibited instinct. Brett suddenly wants.

Eddy doesn't make any attempt to push him away. Instead, his voice gains a slight treble as he calls his name. "Brett?" Eddy sounds hesitant, but there's a tinge of anticipation in there. Of what? Brett's leaning in closer, his heart beating erratically in his chest. Eddy's lips part. He wants.

There's a sudden loud knock against the door and Brett jerks and slams his forehead into Eddy's. Subsequently, they both howl out in pain because holy shit! Eddy ends up kicking him off the bed in a disoriented jolt of adrenaline, Brett's body toppling straight into the ground as the room spins out of focus.

"Brett!"

Eddy's calling for him, probably, but all he sees are stars spinning around his head. Or are those musical notes? Huh, yeah, that does look like Paganini's Caprice No. 24 dancing around his eyes right now. Funny.

"Brett!!"

*

He was back at the wedding hall, standing amidst the buzz of people chattering and clinking wine glasses. A pretty girl had stood in front of him, smiling and leaning into his space, a dizzying scent of perfume filling his senses. It's not her that's distracting him, though.

"He's special to you, isn't he?" she had whispered in Brett's ear, right as he looked up towards Eddy.

How annoyingly obvious.