Chapter 14 - Two Fighting Spirits

Ren was pissed.

More than usual, for reasons that were almost too complicated for him to comprehend, but he understood just fine that feeling in his stomach: completely and totally pissed off.

They were just settling down for the night, Ren was situated next to Arai, Silas on her other side, Emilie laid near Arai’s head and Myra laid next to Emilie. They did this so everyone would be able to talk without having to stretch across each other, Emilie had insisted on her position for a reason Ren didn’t understand, but he didn’t care that much.

The others in the dining hall were all talking quietly, although Ren only caught a few words, he could easily fill in the rest.

“Look at them…”

“Lousy traitors…”

“Helping a witch…”

“I can’t believe I ever liked her…”

He wanted to take Arai away from all these people, he knew it was getting to her, but he was also still furious with her.

How can she just let them say such terrible things about her?

Is she too much of a coward to stand up for herself?

Does she think she deserves this?

She’s such an idiot, but she’s got a good heart, I know that, which makes me want to kill all those damn bastards even more.
Arai looked up and met his furious glare with her sad eyes, like endless pools of tears of worry, fear, sadness and pain. There were so many confusing emotions all wrapped up in those beautiful, clear eyes of hers, making it difficult to hold her gaze for long.

Ren looked away, gritting his teeth and clenching his fists. There wasn’t an ounce of indignation in her eyes, she wasn’t thinking about what the others were saying as unfair, she was probably thinking it to be righteous.

But it’s NOT damnit! It’s not okay for them to all of a sudden assume everything she said wasn’t true! Her feelings, her actions, they’re all HUMAN, she’s a GOOD PERSON if not a little STUPID.

Damnit, damnit, damnit!

I really want to beat everyone here to a pulp, but Arai would just get upset with me and it wouldn’t be satisfying at ALL. She has to stand up for herself, or else she’ll never be able to crawl out of the hole of guilt she’s dug herself.

Once again, Ren felt a rush of frustration and an urge to beat someone to a pulp. He was so frustrated and angry, and he hated every bit of it, he wanted to make the emotions in his heart die in a hole, he wanted to make someone pay for the burning and seemingly endless frustration. He wanted to do something about it, but he just couldn’t.

There was nothing for him to do except wait, which he supposed was really the only option.

“Hey.” A voice stirred him from his thoughts, and he looked up to see an over-confident second-year standing above them with an expression Ren wanted to smack off his face. This second-year had neat brown hair, aqua-blue eyes and a muscular build, with an aura that radiated the “I-am-way-better-than-you” assumption.

Ren wanted to beat him up.

“What do you want?” Ren demanded, tilting his chin in a condescending way.

“That witch. It needs to pay for what it did.” The guy said, pointing at Arai.

“You bastard—”

He was cut off by the feeling of cold hands on his shoulder. He looked at Arai’s pleading expression and didn’t finish his threat, keeping his expression full of hatred and disgust when he looked at this boy.