What You Need

The audience quieted down as the band members put down their instruments. Those who were passing by the park noticed the somber silence that had taken over the concert area and whispered as they passed; or even stayed to pay their respects as well. You held your breath, anticipating how Shinso was going to react. A projector had lowered and on it, names of all fallen heroes started scrolling down the screen. Your eyes quickly scanned the screen for their names. And you knew he was doing the same. 

His hand went cold and limp before he pulled it away from yours. 

"Shinso," you breathed. 

You searched his face for any emotion. Even if it was anger, it was at least something. But his face was blank, his eyes cold and it was almost as if he wasn't really looking at the screen. But you knew deep inside he must be feeling something...right?

"Shinso," you whispered. You pulled on the sleeve of his jacket to try and get his attention. 

He looked down at you from the corner of his eyes before shrugging you off. 

"Don't." 

That's all he said. And in those few words you felt the space between the two of you grow so vast. You thought this night was going to go differently. That the two of you were starting to bond but that feeling of warmth was ripped from right under your feet.  

"You wanna just get out of here...?" you asked lamely. 

"I think I'm just gonna go."

      With that, he got up and dusted off his pants before shoving his hands into his pockets. He started to exit the park. You couldn't just let him go like that. Even though he was being incredibly distant, you didn't want to leave his side. Not yet. Deep down you were worried Shinso might do something reckless. You quickly got up and started following him. It was only when the two of you were far away from others did he turn around to speak to you.

He narrowed his eyes down at you. "Just what do you think you're doing? I don't need a babysitter, (Name)," he hissed your name. 

You balled up your hands into fists. "I'm worried about you. Is that wrong of me?"

He rolled his eyes. "Yes, (Name). I didn't ask you to come after me. We're not kids anymore. When are you going to get that?" 

"We may not be kids anymore, but I'm still gonna give a fuck about you, Shinso," you barked. "I still care about you even though it looks like you don't feel the same way. M-Maybe I'm an idiot for doing this but all I want to do...." Your voice trailed off as it began to break. 

Shinso took a step closer to you. 

"All I wanna do is make sure you're okay," you said defeated. "Is that so bad...?"

The corners of your eyes prickled with tears. You didn't want to cry in front of him so you tried your hardest to hold it in. You averted your gaze from his and chose to keep your eyes glued to the floor. 

"(Name)," Shinso sighed. 

He took a few steps towards you before slinging his around you and bringing you to his chest. He wrapped his other arm around the small of your back to hold you tighter. You buried your face in the crook of his neck; your hands slowly moving to hug him back too.

"You're not the only one who misses them," you croaked. "I know they were your parents but they felt like family to me too." 

Shinso rested his chin on your head. "I know...." He was quiet for a moment. "I guess I thought you just moved on like everyone else."