19. Chill With The Beef

Essence

I was not excited to be back on campus. Classes started right after Martin Luther King day and it's been extra aggy. Every time I look up, people are looking at me and whispering to each other. To say I was irritated was beyond an understatement.

I left my class of the week and headed to the UC to use the computer lab to organize myself for the semester. I made sure to put my beats on as I walked to block out the bullshit. Just as I was about to walk into the UC, someone pulled my beats off my head making me turn around ready to swing.

"Chill" Pharaoh laughed smiling at me "I been calling your name for five minutes behind you"

"Sorry boo" I sighed

"What's wrong?"

I shook my head and turn to keep walking. Pharaoh grabbed my hand and interlocked our fingers as he walked beside me. I attempted to head for the computer lab but was swiftly pulled to the food court.

"What you want?" Rao looked down at me

"Nothing"

"Miss me with that! What you want boo?" he pulled me closer and kissed my forehead "I'm gone get us some food then we can talk about whatever is causing this mood you in"

"I don't want---"

"I didn't asked anything. Matter fact, go sit down somewhere. I already know what I'm gone get us since you want to be difficult"

I couldn't help but laugh at Pharaoh acting like somebody daddy. I shook my head and headed over to a booth in the corner. I pulled out the syllabus I had collected throughout the week, my planner, and my computer. I started filling in my planner with all my assignments and class meetings. I was almost done when Pharaoh came and sat a to-go box in front of me. I sniffed the box as he sat down laughing at me. I went ahead and opened it and my mouth watered at the bake potatoes covered in queso and bacon.

"Rao Rao!" I happily whined

"Aye!" he mugged me "You know you can't say that outside my parents house!"

"Thank you Rao!"

"I got you baby"

"How you know I wanted just cheese and bacon?"

"Because you been saying you wanted some queso since Tuesday and you been talking about bacon since we spent the night at my parents house... and that was literally two weeks ago"

"I don't know what it is but my mouth water just thinking about bacon" I laughed as I ate "It's good as hell too"

"I know what I'm doing girl"

"Whatever"

"So tell me what's wrong with you today?"

"Noth---"

"Essence"

I sighed not wanting to have the conversation but also knowing he wouldn't let it go.

"Fine" I rolled my eyes "Every time I walk out of class or around campus, I catch people staring at me or whispering while looking at me. Like that shit extra aggy! I mean I might be being paranoid but it's like what the fuck!"

"You not" he sighed "I thought it was just happening to me"

"Huh?"

"My LBs been hitting me with shit they heard in the group message all week"

"Like?"

"I promise you don't want to know"

"Raoooo" I whined