20 - Sewn

Cos you got my heart in a headlock
You stopped the blood and made my head soft
And god knows
You got me sewn

Rosie

It had been a week since the night Draco had sat down with me on the sofa. Although I had cast little glances in his direction during the day, nothing more was exchanged between us since. I had resisted the desire to wait up for him again, fear that he would think I was being too fixated on him if I did.

Although in truth I was. My thoughts were now filled with Draco - I couldn't help it. My stomach fluttered whenever I remembered that small smile he had given me as he had said goodnight. My heart clenched whenever I remembered how shattered he had looked and how utterly resigned he was to whatever it was he had to do. I wanted to reach out to him so much. But I was afraid - afraid he would reject me.

But tonight, a week on, I decided to make myself comfortable on the sofa by the fire when the last Slytherin left for bed. And then I waited.

I didn't have long to wait this time. Draco walked in just after midnight. I heard his tired footsteps as he practically dragged himself in. I felt the soft thud as he collapsed onto the other end of the sofa.

"Hey," I attempted a small smile as I greeted him, relieved that he had chosen to sit with me again.

"Can't sleep, still?" He asked, his eyes meeting mine. My pulse quickened. There were dark shadows under his eyes that weren't there before. His face looked drawn in and his frame was looking thin beneath his shirt. I had to fight down the urge to place my hand on his beautiful, tired face.

"Pansy's talking in her sleep - apparently the neighbours cat chased her up a tree again."

Draco sniggered at my attempt at humour. It was true that Pansy spoke in her sleep but it was usually unidentifiable mumbo jumbo. My heart swelled at the fact that I had made him smile.

I watched as he yawned and his hands went to his head, ruffling his blonde hair through his fingers leaving him with a tired, rugged look.

"The offer is still there, you know," I said as he looked at me questioningly. "To help."

Draco exhaled slowly as he looked back towards the fire. "There's no need." And then, he added quietly as if he wasn't sure he wanted to say it, "but- but thank you... anyway."

I smiled in response even though he wasn't looking at me. I couldn't help but feel a nugget of disappointment that he didn't want me to help him.

"You didn't deserve that, by the way."

I looked over to Draco quizzically as I wondered what on earth he was talking about.

"Last year. What Pansy did to you. What I did."

I was speechless. It hadn't even occurred to me that he still thought about that, least of all that he was somewhat remorseful.

"It's in the past," I offered, shrugging my shoulders. I really didn't want him bringing up that night, just thinking about it made my cheeks burn with humiliation. That and the fact that it reminded me of how cruel Draco had once been to me.

"But it's not - Pansy's still being a grade A bitch to you."

I was starting to feel irritated, I just wish he would drop it.

"Why do you hang out with her?" I asked, not being able to keep the irritation out of my voice.

"Why do you hang out with Potter?" He bit back.