56 - Every Last Inch of Her

"The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumber you and the Boy Who Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle, now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live, and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."

It was over. Draco clutched onto Rosie with everything he had as they slowly followed the droves out of the castle and into the forecourt.

"NO!"

Rosie trembled beneath him as Hagrid came into view, carrying Potter's body.

"No!"

"No!"

"Harry! HARRY!"

The despair in everyone's shouts was awful. Draco had never dared hope that Potter would actually vanquish Voldemort, but being faced with this - this was worse than he could ever imagine.

Draco and Rosie held each other tight as they stood and watched Voldemort lead the Death Eaters to the castle. Hagrid was sobbing over Potter's lifeless body, clutched in his arms.

"It is over!" Voldemort cried, as they came to a halt. "Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!"

Draco felt a wave of nausea as Hagrid laid Potter down in front of Voldemort.

"You see? Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!"

Voldemort looked gleefully at the distraught faces of the survivors as the Death Eaters cackled behind him. Draco froze when he saw his mother and father at the front. They were looking at him, trying desperately to get his attention.

"Draco!" His father hissed, beckoning him over. "Draco!"

Draco swallowed, not moving but holding Rosie tightly to him. He could feel Rosie's eyes looking at him questioningly.

"Draco!" His mother hissed this time. Draco flinched but still did not move.

"What is this?" Voldemort spoke, noticing the furore. His red eyes landed on Draco. Draco did not dare meet them. "Ah, Draco, my boy!"

Rosie tensed. He could feel her heart hammering beneath her chest. He did not want to let her go, but he knew the time was here.

"Draco, Draco, Draco," Voldemort continued. It made Draco sick to hear him speak his name. "Come back to us, Draco. Come back to us now and all will be forgiven."

Rosie stirred beneath him, but he still would not let her go.

"Come back to us now, Draco and you and your parents lives will be spared." He felt Rosie loosen her grip. Voldemort's grin grew wider. "Come back to us now, Draco, and that Mudblood that you cling to so desperately will get to see another day."

Draco dropped his arms in an instant.

His eyes met Rosie's and, as they passed sorrowful looks, she gave him the slightest of nods. His eyes lingered on her a moment longer, making sure to take in every last inch of her.

And then, with the heaviest of hearts, he turned around and walked away from her.

"Well done, Draco. Well done,"

Draco blanched as he felt cold arms embrace him. He had to will himself not to flinch in disgust.

He joined his parents the second Voldemort released him. His mothers face was a picture of relief as she put her arms around him. He couldn't join her in her solace.