57 - What Harry Did

Draco paced his bedroom. He was angry. They wouldn't let him out. He didn't have a wand. He was trapped.

It had been two days since they had Apparated here from the castle. Once news reached them that Potter was actually alive and had killed Voldemort, his father locked him straight in his room like a prisoner.

"It's for your own good," he hissed through the door. His father had put extra magical charms on the door and windows so he couldn't break through them with force.

Draco was desperate to find Rosie. He had no idea where she would be or even if she was OK.

Potter had actually done it. But he couldn't allow himself to feel relieved until he had Rosie in his arms again.

He stopped pacing when he heard the chimes of the front door. He leapt to his bedroom door, pushing his ear up against it, desperate to hear news.

Footsteps ascended the stairs. It sounded like more than one person. The footsteps grew louder and Draco jumped back as he heard his door being unlocked.

The door opened and his mother stepped inside. She looked at him sternly and took a deep breath as if steeling herself for something.

"You have a visitor."

Draco couldn't believe his eyes as Potter stepped in behind her. His expression was serious.

"W-What...?" Draco stammered. "What's going on?"

"She's dead." Potter said flatly. "Rosie's dead."

No. Everything around Draco tilted. No. She can't be. Not Rosie. Not his dear, sweet Rosie.

Draco staggered. He suddenly couldn't remember how to stand and the room swayed as he dropped to his knees. The sound of rushing blood roared in his ears. He was only acutely aware of Potter approaching him. He held something out to him in his hand.

It was Draco's ring. The ring he had given to Rosie.

Draco shakily took it and squeezed it in his hand as he desperately tried to stop the tears from falling.

She was gone. She was really gone.

***

Two days earlier

Harry stood with two wands in his hand, staring down at his enemy's shell.

Voldemort was dead, killed by his own rebounding curse.

After a moments silence, celebration filled the air around him. He couldn't see for Ron and Hermione's fierce embrace.

They had done it.

Harry lifted his head and scanned the cheering crowd around him. He saw Rosie stand up, her tired face glowing with relief.

And then she turned around and disappeared from the Hall.

He pushed Ron and Hermione aside and went after her. He needed to thank her, to say sorry for ever being cold towards her. He needed to let her know how much their friendship over the years had meant to him.

He watched as she ran towards the retreating cowards that called themselves Death Eaters.

No, Rosie. His heart hammered. She couldn't possibly be going after him, not after he chose them. He chose them over her and yet she was still running after him. Kind, gentle Rosie, who could never see the bad in anyone.