42 - The Taboo

We found them. It took a while, but Ron and I kept following the Deluminator's light and eventually we found Harry, who was almost drowning in a little pool. Ron had pulled him out just in time - Harry had being wearing the locket which was choking him.

But, he had managed to get the sword of Gryffindor and so we were able to destroy a Horcrux.

And now, we were sat upstairs in Luna Lovegood's cottage, chatting to her father who was telling us all about the Deathly Hallows.

But something wasn't quite right. Xenophilius Lovegood kept insisting that Luna had just popped out to go fishing and would be back any moment, however, there seemed to be no sign of her at all. And Xenophilius was extremely twitchy.

But when Harry had discovered Luna's un-slept bed, Xenophilius caved.

"They took my Luna," He whispered. "Because of what I've been writing. They took my Luna and I don't know where she is, what they've done to her. But they might give her back to me if I - if I -"

"Hand over Harry?" I finished for him, holding up the latest issue of The Quibbler - Harry's face plastered on the front page, emblazoned with the words Undesirable Number One.

"No deal," Ron said flatly. "Get out of the way, we're leaving."

But Xenophilius stepped in front of the staircase, blocking it with his outstretched arms.

"They will be here at any moment. I must save Luna. I cannot lose Luna. You must not leave."

"Don't make us hurt you," Harry said. "Get out of the way, Mr Lovegood."

"HARRY!" Hermione screamed, pointing out of the window.

I looked out in horror as black cloaked figures were flying past on broomsticks. And the next thing I knew, Harry had jumped on top of me, knocking me painfully to the floor and then came a great colossal explosion. It felt as though the room had blown apart. I was only aware of a thick white cloud of dust as I was went flying through the air before crashing back down to the floor. I flung my arms up over my head as debris rained down upon me. I could barely breathe or see for dust as I tried to look around me to see what had cause the explosion.

The door downstairs crashed open.

"Didn't I tell you there was no need to hurry, Travers?" a rough voice came from down below. "Didn't I tell you this nutter was just raving as usual?"

I heard a bang and a scream that sounded as though it belonged to Xenophilius.

"No... no... upstairs... Potter!"

This is the end. I thought. But then someone grabbed my shoulder and the next thing I knew I was being dragged once more into darkness, before landing roughly on to cold, wet grass.

I scrambled quickly to my feet, looking as Harry, Ron and Hermione picked themselves up from the corner of the field we had Apparated to.

"Is everyone ok?" Hermione gasped.

"I think so," I panted, wincing as I wiped blood from a cut on my forehead. "What was that explosion?"

"An Erumpent horn." Hermione sighed. "I told him it was dangerous and now his house has been blown apart!"

***

The weeks that followed were rather uneventful. We tried to not think about how cold and hungry we always felt as we discussed The Deathly Hallows and Horcruxes. Harry was adamant that Voldemort was searching for the Elder Wand and seemed completely obsessed by this idea. Hermione was insisting that Horcruxes were what we needed to focus on. Ron and I just sat on the fence, trying to keep the peace.