54 - Draco's Despair

Draco sighed in relief when he realised the Weasley boy wasn't dead after all. He could tell Rosie really cared about him. He hovered behind her not wanting to interrupt, but also not wanting to stay too far away from her.

"Jesus, Fred! I thought you were dead!" Rosie laughed in relief.

"Ow," Fred grimaced as he tried to sit up. Draco noticed he still had a lot of blood pouring out of his head.

"We'll need to get that looked at," Percy said as he and George helped him to his feet.

"Don't fuss, I just look like the rest of you now." Fred looked around grinning. He had a point, Draco thought, as his eyes skimmed the rest of their faces. Everyone was covered in blood, cuts, bruises and dirt.

Rosie stood up and turned, reaching out to Draco. He snaked his arm around her waist, kissing the top of her head.

All of sudden, a body flew past the hole blown into the side of the school and curses flew in at them from the darkness, hitting the wall behind their heads.

"Get down!" Potter yelled. Draco didn't need telling twice and threw Rosie to the floor, shielding her as much as he could with his own body, as more curses flew in above their heads.

Granger let out a blood curdling scream, and Draco dared lift his head to see what was going on. He saw it straight away - a monstrous spider the size of a small car was trying to climb through the huge hole in the wall.

Rosie, beneath him started shaking. He clambered off of her. And he saw the horror on her face as she looked at the spider's legs frantically trying to enter.

He helped her to her feet as Potter and Weasley shouted curses with their wands. They managed to blow the spider back out into the darkness, its legs jerking horribly.

"It brought friends!" Potter shouted. And sure enough, more spiders started crawling up the side of the castle and trying to clamber in through the hole.

"Rosie - use your wand!" Draco cried desperately to Rosie, feeling utterly useless without his. But she just stood frozen in terror, seemingly unable to see anything but the giant hairy monsters.

Thinking quick, Draco grabbed her wand from her hand and started firing Stunning spells towards the advancing spiders.

Draco breathed when the last spider had dropped from view, but the relief was not meant to last and more curses came soaring over their heads, so close he felt the force of them blowing his hair.

"Let's move, NOW!" He yelled, grabbing Rosie and pushing her ahead of him down to the end of the remainder of the corridor.

The golden trio had seemingly disappeared and Draco saw the other Weasley brothers helping Fred over the rubble at the other end. All Draco wanted to do was get Rosie to safety.

They tripped and fell over fallen stone and wood, constantly keeping their heads bowed in case of flying curses.

They turned a corner into another corridor, full of dust and falling masonry. Many people were running backwards and forwards, Death Eaters duelling with the castles inhabitants. Draco looked left and right, Rosie's wand still gripped in his hand, trying to work out the safest route.

"Draco," Rosie whispered, helplessly. He pulled her to him close, feeling her tired body lean wearily into his.

"It's OK, Rosie. I'll get us out of here." He was saying this but he didn't know how, or where they were to go.

Making a decision, he pulled Rosie left down the corridor, keeping her body tightly to his and the wand poised in front of them. The screams and shouts around them were deafening, and the loud bangs constantly making Rosie twitch in fear.