44 - Can't You See, He Loves Her

Rosie's body stilled underneath Bellatrix. Draco thought for a terrifying moment that she was dead.

But then her head lolled to the side towards him, as his aunt clambered off of her, and her exhausted, glassy eyes met his. A lonely tear trickled down across her face, and he blew sharply into his clenched hand, trying desperately to stop any from falling down his own.

"She'll never forget who she is now," his aunt cackled, proudly thrusting Rosie's limp right arm high in the air for everyone to see.

Mudblood was etched deeply into her pale skin, blood trickled thickly out of the letters that had been branded into her, making the word seem even more grotesque.

Draco couldn't help but think of all the times he had cruelly spat that word in her face. His stomach knotted violently and he thought he was going to throw up.

"I'm done with her," Bellatrix said as she threw Rosie's arm back down. "Greyback - throw her down with the others. We can leave them there for the night until we decide what to do with them."

Draco watched in despair as Greyback gruffly picked up Rosie's limp body from the floor and carried her away out of the room.

He thought frantically about what he was going to do. Rosie was now locked in the cellars underneath his home, and could well be kept there as a plaything for his loathe-some aunt. He needed to get her out of there. Fast.

He bid goodnight to his mother and headed out into the hallway, in the direction of his bedroom.

Think, think, think. He thought desperately, trying to come up with a plan. He needed to get his hands on another wand - they would have taken Rosie's off of her.

Just as he thought this, he rounded a corner and saw Wormtail scurrying towards him. Now was his chance, he just had to think quickly about how he was going to do this.

"Where do you think you are going, you filthy cretin?" Draco spat, mustering up his best sneer.

Wormtail visibly cowered in front of him and looked up nervously, stuttering, "M-master Malfoy, I was just tend-"

"I've no time for your pathetic excuses. This hallway is strictly out of bounds for the servants."

"I'm so sorry, please forgive me." Wormtail bowed so low he was practically kissing Draco's shoes. He almost stepped back in disgust, but saw, to his luck, Wormtail's wand sticking up in the air out of his back pocket.

As quick as a flash, Draco snatched the wand at the same time as kicking Wormtail hard in the shins, making him flail about wildly.

"Get away from me, vermin!" Draco sneered, swiftly tucking the wand under his jacket.

Wormtail, losing his balance, fell backwards and landed in a heap on the floor. Draco stepped over him, praying that Wormtail hadn't noticed him snatch the wand in the scuffle.

His heart beating fast, Draco raced quickly to his room, sat down on the edge of his bed, and waited.

When he was sure everyone would be asleep in their beds, Draco stood up and slowly crept out of his room, walking as quietly as he could.

He slowly made his way down towards the cellars, listening as hard as he could for any sounds. He reached a heavy door at the bottom of a steep flight of stairs, and unlocked it with a tap of his wand.

As quietly and as softly as he could, so as not to alarm the occupants, he creaked open the door and stepped into a dank and musty room.

He saw her almost immediately. She was slumped on the floor at the far end by the wall. He went straight to her, his heart thudding as the need to get her was suddenly overwhelming.

He fell down to his knees when he reached her and scooped her limp body up in his arms.

"Rosie, my god, Rosie." He muttered as he fiercely kissed her hair, relishing the smell and feel of her, pulling her onto his lap.

"Draco?" She breathed weakly, her eyelids fluttering open. He cupped her face, looking deep into her glassy blue eyes, a rush of love and affection filling his very core.

"It's OK, Rosie, I'm here, it's OK." He repeated fervently, holding her tightly in his lap.

"Get your hands off of her."

Draco looked up at the menacing growl. Harry Potter was standing over them, his fists clenched by his side.

"I'm here to help you." Draco glowered at his former school arch nemesis. Their eyes locked in mutual hatred.

"You're one of them." Harry spat, breathing heavily.

A figure came up behind Harry, placing a hand on his shoulder. It was Granger.

"Harry, please. Listen to what he's got to say." She said soothingly, at the same time eyeing Draco warily.

"How can we trust him?" Harry snarled. "He's a Death Eater. He plotted to kill Dumbledore!"

Hermione gave a weary sigh, looking back down at Draco as he held Rosie's tortured body to him.

"Can't you see, Harry? He loves her."

For the first time ever, Draco was grateful to Hermione Granger. She understood.

"I can get you out of here." Draco said, "I've got you a wand."

Harry just stared at him open mouthed. Draco could tell he was fighting an internal battle whether to believe him or not. Draco shifted slightly, moving his hand beneath his jacket to remove the wand. Rosie stirred, and he looked down at her - her eyes had closed shut again.

"Here." He said stiffly, holding out the wand in Harry's direction.

Harry hesitated, eyeing the wand cautiously. Then he gingerly reached out and took it. Draco let out a quiet sigh of relief.

"We need to get her somewhere safe," Draco said, looking down attentively at Rosie. He still couldn't believe she was there, in his arms. All he wanted right now was to get her to somewhere where he knew she would be OK.

"There's my brothers cottage." Ron Weasley had appeared by Granger's side. "They'll look after her there."

Draco looked from each of them, confused. "You're not going too?"

"We need to get the sword back. They took it when they Snatched us." Harry said, not bothering to hide the bitterness in his voice.

"Well tell me how to get there, I'll take her." Draco spoke desperately. He didn't want her staying here any longer than she should.

The three of them looked awkwardly at one another. Draco could tell they were wondering how trustworthy he actually was.

"All I want is for her to be safe." He said fiercely.

Harry sighed. "OK then."

And Ron, taking Harry's cue, gave Draco the necessary details to Apparate Rosie to the sanctuary of Shell Cottage.

***