24 - After the Kiss

It was like someone switching on the light. Her fingers had found their way under his shirt and just as he was thinking how much he wanted her to rip it off him, he remembered the Mark.

He jumped back, causing Rosie to clumsily slide back to the floor. He looked away from her as, still panting, she tried to get her breath back.

"I'm sorry." He spoke softly after his breathing returned to normal. "I don't know what came over me." That was a lie. He knew exactly what had come over him. He wanted her. He wanted her in a way that he had never wanted anything in his whole life. And being that close to her, breathing in the scent of her as he guided her through the incantation caused his senses to go into overdrive. The feel of her small soft body pressed up against him and the touch of her hand underneath his had driven him wild.

But there was something he hadn't told her and even though she understood he never had a choice, he still couldn't bear the thought of seeing her face if she found out what he had become. A Death Eater.

And she was a Muggle-born.

He walked back towards the Cabinet. He heard her shrugging her robes back on before joining him.

"Do you think it worked?"

He blinked, it took him a moment to realise she was referring to the Cabinet. She was choosing to act like the kiss had not happened. His heart gave a slight twist. But it had to be this way.

He placed his hand nervously on the door and glanced over his shoulder, meeting her eyes. He noticed her cheeks were still flushed and her chest heaving just slightly, still recovering from their heated encounter. He thought how beautiful she looked as her blue eyes twinkled in anticipation. She gave him the gentlest of nods.

He opened the door very slowly. The apple was still there. He felt a tug of disappointment. It hadn't worked.

"Wait - look." Rosie reached across him and picked up the apple. As she turned it around, his heart thudded.

A large chunk was missing. A bite mark.

***

Rosie

It was working. Draco and I were successfully mending the Cabinet. I wasn't sure how I felt about this. I was nervous not knowing what this meant for us, for Hogwarts, for Draco.

We didn't mention the kiss. I had felt hurt when he pulled away from me. But at the same time I was relieved. I hadn't wanted it to stop. I don't know how far I would have gone that afternoon in the Room of Requirement, but when I'm with Draco it's like being intoxicated and I lose all inhibitions. It felt like I couldn't get enough of him and it was as if there was something I desired that was just beyond my reach. I couldn't work out what it was but the crushing need to find it was staggeringly overwhelming.

Draco Malfoy had lit something inside of me and even after he pulled away from the kiss, I knew it was going to stay ignited. It was terrifying.

My thoughts were constantly in the Room of Requirement with Draco and it made it difficult for me to concentrate on anything else.

"Hello? Anyone there?"

I blinked, and gave Neville an apologetic look as I brought myself back to the present. We were in Transfiguration and trying unsuccessfully to turn a frog into a mouse. The frog kept hopping away.

"As I was saying," Neville seemed somewhat agitated and was tapping his wand nervously on the edge of the desk. "Slughorn is having this little Christmas party next week and said we could bring a guest, and I was wondering i-if you might - you might... you know..." he trailed off going a deep shade of crimson.