chapter two

Recess was not fun.

So far, there had been no sign of Jimmy. Frank and Gerard had hung around the swings for a while until Lindsey walked by, and Gerard got up to follow her. He'd invited Frank along, but Frank could tell without reading his mind that he didn't really want Frank to come.

Frank had declined politely, and it hadn't been a complete lie. Did he really want to go watch his best friend flirt with some girl? No.

Lindsey giggled, and the sound carried over to where Frank was sitting. He plugged his ears, but that didn't stop the trail of dirty thoughts that came from both of them, playing itself in his mind. 

Ugh, Frank grimaced, shoving them forcefully out of his head. Gerard was so unguarded when he talked to Lindsey, and for once Frank wished he wasn't.

He was too busy blocking Gerard out of his mind that he didn't notice Jimmy stand up and walk over to them. It was the snapping sound of something breaking that brought Frank back, lifting his head in time to watch Jimmy pound his fist against Gerard's face.

"Gerard!" Frank cried, leaping to his feet as Jimmy tackled the other boy, throwing his head from left to right with each blow. It was insane, and Frank had to stop it.

Reaching his hands out, Frank braced himself to do something he felt he would definitely regret later on. That was, if he could do it. He knew it was possible to control other people – Gerard did it all the time – but Frank himself had never attempted it before. Controlling someone was just wrong, but the sound of Gerard's cries as he was hit was enough for Frank to override his morals. Why wasn't Gerard fighting back?

Frank had barely moved a strand of Jimmy's hair when his arms were yanked behind him and pinned behind his back. "What – ?" Frank began to ask but was cut short by a kick to his knees. "Ow, shit! Let me go, I didn't do anything!" He writhed around in an attempt to get loose.

"I know what you can do," The boy behind him growled, and Frank winced. His wrists were being held tightly, allowing the other boy's feelings to pulse through them. They were far less angry then Frank would have expected, with a significant amount of fear. Weird. "I don't know what you're talking about!" Frank said between grit teeth. His arms were twisted at an awkward angle, and it hurt like hell. The boy chuckled. "Your eyes are as black as night. You're an animus."

And I'm one, too.

Frank didn't have time to ask him what the fuck an animus was as there was suddenly an explosion between them and the boy was thrown backward, into the ground. The blow launched Frank forward onto his knees forcefully, causing him to yelp in pain. Frank hadn't really meant to push the boy, but his will to escape was so strong that his powers had acted on their own. It took Frank a moment to realize that he'd just controlled another human being for the first time. Not intentionally, but it still happened. Stumbling to his feet, Frank looked at the spot where Gerard had just been, finding in empty.

Gerard and Jimmy were no longer on the ground, but in the air.

Gerard was slowly closing his hands into fists as Jimmy clawed at his own throat, gasping for air. He was strangling Jimmy with his powers.

Panic rushed through Frank and he covered his mouth in horror. Gerard was flying, and now everyone was going to know. He was doing exactly what he'd told Frank not to do; announcing his powers to the school.

The other kids were gathering around now, yelling and cheering as the fight went on. There were too many voices and thoughts at once, their bright and sharp emotions smothering Frank. Some of them wanted Gerard to win. Most of them were scared.