Chapter 3

Gabriel quickly took out his cellphone. If he needed answers, he was going to find them there.

As he unlocked the phone, he saw a picture of Adrien holding the small girl he just saw a few moments ago. They were both laughing, Gabriel couldn't help but smile.

The door opened and he heard a male's voice.

-Sir, excuse me, Mrs. Agreste sent me. Everybody is waiting for you in meeting room 3 – he said.

-I... I lost track of... time – he said walking towards the door.

Gabriel stopped and looked at the young man standing in front of him.

-What is your name again? – he asked.

-It's Adam.

Gabriel nodded.

-Adam, I need to speak to you after the meeting – he said as he crossed the door

-Of course, Sir.

After hours of discussing fabrics, colors, and trends. Gabriel was finally free of all this buzz in his head, he was already having a hard time understanding what was going on with his life. Was Nathalie his...? Did he have a ...? He was afraid of finishing those sentences. It was unbearable for him; this was some sort of misunderstanding for sure.

-Sir – said Adam entering Gabriel's studio.

-Come in, take a seat, please.

Adam did as he said.

-How can I help you, sir?

-Adam, listen, this might sound weird but for some awkward reason I can't remember anything about the last... let's say 6 years.

Adam glanced at Gabriel with surprise and doubt in his eyes.

-Do you want me to call Mrs. Agreste or Dr. Laurent?

-No, no, no. I need you to give me a quick recall, okay?

-Ummm, where should I start? – asked Adam with profound confusion.

-Nathalie, she...?

-She is your wife, Sir, you married 6 years ago.

-Emilie?

-Your ex-wife, Sir, around 8 years ago, her body was recovered, and she was buried in Notre-Dame.

Gabriel felt a deep pain in his chest. He suddenly felt he needed to get some air.

-Adrien? – he asked in a soft voice.

-He's in the Sorbonne, studying. He moved in with Marinette, his girlfriend, to an apartment you and Nathalie gifted them – Adam replied.

-And... and... Sophie?

Adam smiled.

-Sophie is your daughter, Sir. And Mrs. Nathalie's.

Gabriel's head was about to explode. So, he buried Emilie, he married Nathalie and had a daughter with her, gifted Adrien and his girlfriend an apartment... this was, by far, the most surreal dream Gabriel had ever experienced.

-Adam, I think I need to lay down. I will go to my room, thank you so much for this.

Adam nodded.

As Gabriel walked down the corridor, he couldn't help looking at his phone, the image of his... two... children, laughing and hugging. It was almost impossible for Gabriel to take in all the information he just received. But looking at those happy faces made him feel that warmth that kept him from losing his mind.

As he laid in bed, he took his shoes off and closed his eyes. Maybe if he fell asleep, he'd wake up back in reality.

Gabriel woke up to the sound of his room's door opening. Again, he saw, Nathalie Sancoeur walk up to him.

She sat on the bed next to him.

-Adam told me you weren't feeling right.

Gabriel closed his eyes again. Oh no, he was still in this bizarre dream.

-Talk to me Gabriel – she said softly.

-Listen, I have no idea how to explain this, without you freaking out and wanting to take me to the neurologist.

Nathalie laughed.

-Honey... just tell me – she smiled.

-Okay, I can't remember anything from the last 8 years.

Nathalie's face paled.

-What?

-I can't, the last thing I remember it was August 3rd, 2019 and I had black tea and muffins for dinner – said Gabriel – And by the look on your face, you do want to take me to the neurologist, or the psychiatrist.

-Are you serious? Maybe I do...

-I know Nathalie, listen, all I need is your help- he said – Just help me remember.

Nathalie let out a sigh and stared at her wedding ring.

-It's quite a long story, you know.

-We have all night, please. Nat, help me remember – he said putting a hand on hers.

-Okay – she softly squeezed his hand.