5. The Battle Arena

After Grace dropped Rachael at her house, she returned to hers and changed her clothes and had a snack. Since she didn't want to seem suspicious, she used her skateboard to go to school. 

When she reached the school, she found Daniel standing in front of the building, tapping the ground with his feet and looking at his watch.

I totally forgot about Daniel!

Should I tell him?

God, will he even believe me?

Grace gathered up her courage and snatched her skateboard from the sidewalk. She walked up to him. 

"Hey, Danny." She tried to sound like she hadn't gotten only two hours of sleep, but she inevitably failed. She could only hope that Daniel doesn't ask her. 

"Hey," He greeted slowly, "Where is Rae?" 

"Sick." Grace gave a short reply. She wasn't good at lying. 

"Oh, is it the flu?" Grace shrugged. 

"Dunno'. You know Rae, she won't tell me much. I think it is not a big deal, you know her parents can make her skip school when she sneezes once. You know what I mean." Grace entered the halls with him. She prayed he wouldn't notice her slumped shoulders and her tired eyes. 

I really have to text Rae my lie so I don't get in trouble.

"Okay.." Daniel swung his arms awkwardly. "So, did you get any sleep last night?" 

"No. I got caught up with studying." Daniel nodded. 

"Try to get some sleep, alright? You look dead." Grace chuckled nervously. 

"Yeah, I probably do." 

"So, do you wanna' hang out? After school?" Grace sighed. 

"Sorry, I have to get some sleep. We have a test tomorrow, too, remember?" Daniel nodded. 

"Yeah, I do. You're right, I have to study, too. We can schedule this another time. Maybe tomorrow?" Daniel asked, getting out his history book. 

"I can't give any promises, but I will try my hardest, Dan. I can promise you that." Grace could feel Daniel getting more and more suspicious. 

What am I doing? He is too smart to fall for my lies. 

"Alright then." Daniel looked disappointed. The school bell saved Grace from the tense encounter. She felt guilty, but she couldn't put him in danger, too. Rachael was almost killed because of the pendant. 

***

Grace listened to the history teacher explain the lesson, but her mind was somewhere else. In another dimension. 

I have so many questions.

How does she know I am the one destined to be the Guardian?

Is it because the pendant clings to me like I am its Mama?

What kind of evil am I going to face?

Grace felt her backpack heat up on her lap. She opened it and found the crystal Queen Elena gave her glowing, which meant there was an emergency. She paled. 

"Everything okay, Miss Anderson?" Grace looked at Miss Jackson, her history teacher. 

"I have to go to the bathroom."

***

I did not just get out of school behind my teacher's back. 

Oh, wait.