Aftermath

John's POV

I just barely got off of the train when I was practically frozen in place. There standing in front of me was Cecile. Her arms were crossed, her mouth slightly frowning. 

"All the way out there? I could have gotten Elaine."

"It's fine. Besides. Elaine lives with Seraphina. That  would be suspicious don't ya think?"

She sighs and starts to walk away. "John...This won't last forever. People will catch on you know. It didnt take long for Remi and Blyke. They started piecing things together themselves," we were almost at the car she drove here, "All I am saying is that I think you should be careful." She turned around and looked at me. "John. You can't do this forever."

Of course I could. There no longer was any stress with being Joker. Joker could just fade into the past. The only stress now was what would happen now that all of the royals had been dethroned.

But then the thought entered my mind. Seraphina. 

Oh God. Seraphina.

What was I ever going to tell her? That is the only thing I could possibly be worried about.

I jogged to catch up with Cecile, as she had continued to her car while I got lost in thought. Sad part was, she was right. And I dreaded the day that would inevitably come.

Seraphina POV

I sat on my bed with my phone in hand. I had my texts open to my conversations with John. Should I ask him about it? Even though the minute I saw Joker I knew it was John, I was still doubting what I saw. I mean, how could he lie about something like that for that long so successfully?

I stared at my phone for a few minutes before turning it off. Text probably wasn't the way to do that. I needed to see him in person. 

So, I pushed myself off of my bed and slipped on some shoes. Earlier, I had been practicing more combos. But I just couldn't bring myself to do that anymore. I grabbed my hoodie off of my desk, zipped it up, and grabbed my phone off of my bed. No turning back now. 

Elaine looked at me really funny as soon as I exited my room. Which made sense. I hadn't left it all weekend long. 

"Hey...Seraphina? Are you alright? You've been acting really weird lately. Do you need to talk about it? I have some orange juice I just made. 

I sighed. Maybe I should think things through some more. "Alright Elaine. Maybe...Maybe I do need someone to talk to about this. Pour me a glass?"

Elaine scurried off to the kitchen. I took a seat in our small living space and leaned back into the chair. I tilted my head up and stared at the ceiling while I waited for Elaine to return with the juice. I needed to breathe. I needed to think.

But I really needed to act. Yet here I was. Sitting. Talking. Waiting. And not acting.

Elaine only took a minute or two to return, and when she did she handed me a glass of juice. She sat across from me and began the conversation.

"So...Is it about--"
"Yes." I probably shouldn't have cut her off, but I couldn't help it. Sitting here was only making me feel worse.

"Did Arlo tell you? Or did you figure it out yourself?"

"A bit of both actually. Elaine what do I even say to him? He lied to me. He tricked me. And...I don't know what to do."

"Well. Maybe you should talk to him about it."

"Well yeah!" I shouted at her. "No DUH Elaine! But HOW? HOW am I supposed to approach him? WHAT WILL HIS REACTION BE?!"

Silence.

"I...I'm sorry Seraphina. I..." She trailed off. 

I set my glass down onto the coffee table. I couldn't wait any longer. And I knew this wasn't going to be a pretty encounter. And I didn't care. No more putting this off. 

I sat up from the chair and turned straight for the door. John.

I hope you're ready.

I slammed the door shut behind me and started for the boy's dorms.

It was not long before I found myself in front of John's door. I tried the handle, but it was locked. I raised my fist to knock. 

But.

I stopped myself.

I don't know why I stopped myself. 

But I did.

Calmly, I knocked on the door. 

And there he was. In khaki cargo shorts and a blue muscle tee. 

"Sera? What a nice surprise!"

I smiled my best smile and went along with it. He invited me inside and I sat down in his living area.

"So. What brings you here? Not that I'm complaining." 

I looked to him, sitting across from me in his chair.

"I...would like to talk?"

His face was confused. Then concerned. "Ok. Well..are you alright? Can I help?...Was it Arlo again?" His face turned again into one of resent.

"No. Joker."

His eyes widened in shock. He was speechless. So it was true...What I saw? He really is Joker. His reaction alone told me that much. 

"What?..."
"I know John. Don't even try to hide it. I saw your fight with Arlo, Remi, Blyke, Isen... How could you?" I could feel my calm mask slip away.

"Seraphina...I am so sorry, but let me at least explain?" His eyes had teared up.

"Maybe another day. Another day where I can trust you, and talk to you without worrying about being deceived! It doesn't even make sense! Why would you hide this? From me! Your best friend! And all the getting beat up? YOU COULD FIGHT BACK! BUT YOU DIDN'T!  BECAUSE YOU'RE A COWARD!"

"Sera...I did it for you! It was Arlo's fault! He was the one who--"

"NO! YOU had the choice. YOU chose to hide it." I was crying now, my words had become incoherent. 

John put his hand on my shoulder and hugged me. But I was too exhausted to push it away. I hadn't slept well since the attack, and yelling this much took a lot out of me. 
"Please. Stop. Stop your lies. Stop hugging me. Stop being a liar." I looked up into his face. He was hurt. 

Without a word, I got up and made my way to the door.  John got up as well, but only to watch me go.

I slammed too many doors today.

*Thanks for reading. Next update will be on Wednesday. Make sure to vote for this chapter, add this story to your library, and comment on your favorite part. If you have suggestions, Suggest! I am always open to your ideas.

If you like this, you might want to check out my original book Not Following the Trail. If you checked it out, it would mean a lot. Thanks! See you Wednesday!*