Hypothetical Alternatives

Recap:
I had no idea that the little amount of testing she had would take this long. Leilah, You said you were close to a cure for me. This is far from close.

*now back to the story*

I had to call it quits on Leilah. Not only had we done a shit ton of testing in one sitting, we also escaped nexgen and flew to the safehouse in a helicopter. I was immensely drained. As awful as it sounds, all I wanted at the moment was to lay down in bed, and play games on my phone. But, I did not have my phone. So I stared at the ceiling.

The texture of stucco fools your brain into thinking you are looking at an actual picture. I guess my mind could pretend to play slappy pigs. It just isn't the same though.Instead, my mind drifts to wellston. I hope Remi is doing ok. I hope things have not gone to complete shit. I hope...
"Hey Sera. I know you probably miss all your friends back at wellston, so I took the liberty and got you an untraceable phone for now. It's an old one of mine, but I figured you might like to message some of your people," Leilah opened the door to my room and handed me a small box. I opened it and found an older phone model with a small crack in the side. It was in a plain black case for the time being. I guess this was better than nothing. If it could download slappy pigs, I would happily accept this gift.
"Uh...Yeah thanks. That's really cool of you to do that for me."
Leilah shrugged and left me to my own doings.
I logged into the wifi with the note that Leilah stuck in the box that had the password on it. Of course it was a randomized one that required me to actually keep looking at what I was typing. Nothing was easy anymore, was it?
It took a long time for the app to finally install considering how obsolete the model was compared to the new releases. I tried to remember off of the top of my head the numbers of some of my other friends, but to little avail. I could only remember pieces of their numbers or would not know the area code. I suppose I could use my school email to contact them, but they would probably never even see it.

Speaking of school, I should probably check in to see if any of my teachers had emailed me back about my extended medical absence. I hardly attended class when I had my powers, but now that the classroom was somewhat of a safespace I tried to attend as much as possible. It kept me from getting into situations I could not come out of without injuries. It took me back to before I met John. I...was so different then. I strived to be the very best in everything. I had no choice otherwise. My mother was breathing down my neck constantly about being as good as my sister Leilah. For me, it was always about living up to the standard. If I didn't, the consequences were ugly. Not only with my mother's yelling, but with the internal self abuse I did to myself.
I replied to a few teacher's questions about how long I was to be gone, and then noticed a strange email.

From:Blyke

Hey sera. I have no idea how things are wherever you are. But...things aren't good here. Do you think you are anywhere near getting your ability back and helping out? We are getting desperate. I'm getting desperate.

This was new. Was I surprised? No. I really wasn't. Deep down, a part of me had hoped that maybe, just maybe, John would turn things around.
I wish I wasn't right in my suspicions.
I hit the reply button, but my fingers stayed stationary, unmoving. How do I even respond? I was nowhere close. I don't care what Leilah said. There is no way one can be "extremely close to a cure" while still needing to do as much BASIC testing as Leilah required of me.

Hey Blyke....
I'm not really sure to be honest. I do not even know there will be a cure. What's happening over there? I'm worried about you guys.
-Sera

Blyke isn't one to write such a serious message like that, and in an email no less. I hit the send button and put the phone down. What in the world is John doing to everyone down there?