Leilah

I was backed into a corner.
A dark figure with glowing golden eyes in the distance slowly walked towards me. He was menacing. We was dangerous. And I had not way to fight back the footsteps grew louder. And louder. I turned my face away from the looming hall in an attempt to shield myself from seeing him.
But to no avail.
He whipped me around and I looked him in the eyes.

His arm was raised.

And he swung.

Right before impact was when I awoke.
Right before the worst part of the dream.
Tonight's nightmare was ever so slightly different. Normally I dont get to see him approach. Normally it just goes straight to beating me up.
I was not complaining. Not about the nightmare at least. I was complaining about the effects. A cold sweat, shaky hands, elevated blood pressure, etc. Those were the things I was complaining about. It scared me. More than anything, it made me feel vulnerable. And I hated that.

Feeling vulnerable made me feel weak. Feeling weak reminded me of....

I didn't want to think about it.

The chamber was dark. The only light was a single ceiling light in the corner, probably automatically on for security. This only added to the mood. 

Then I heard heels clacking upon the floor.

I could see nothing in the almost complete darkness. Thus, I had no idea who could be coming along this way. 

It was unusually quiet, save the clacking in the distance. All the white noise from earlier was gone. No longer was the ticking of a clock, whirring of the fan in this glass chamber, or buzzing of the cheap lights overhead. But there was the clacking heels.

They got louder and louder. It did not take long for me to see the source of this clacking. All it took was a green light and a small beep and I saw the source of the new noise.

Leilah.

Now in an official lab coat with a clipboard.

I got up from the small bench/bed and stared through the glass. Her eyes were glued to the clipboard. She honestly seemed to not know I was even there. Weird. She stopped right in front of the glass cage. No words, no signals, no anything.

What was going on?

She then made a slight gesture. She tilted her clipboard ever so slightly so that I could see it. In big letters, she had written out my name.
Almost as quick as it had happened, she pulled her clipboard under her arm and proceeded to continue and make her way to the glass door. Her face was nonchalant. As if nothing had happened? Obviously she was not trying to get a huge reaction out of me. Otherwise she would have done something much more.she u locked the glass door and motioned for me to step out.
Gladly, I did so. The cage was...well I dont think I would want to spend all my days in there. Still, I did not speak a word.

Leilah's head tilted up just enough for her to make small moments of eye contact while scribbling on that clipboard of hers again. Silence.

She finally broke it.

"Well then Seraphina, I think it is about time we get you out of that glass cage, yes?"
I nodded quickly. Being out of the thing was so refreshing.
With a quick swipe of her hand, she was leading me quite quickly down the hall.
A little too quickly.
I looked around. The world around us had grayed. And I looked over to Leilah. Her eyes were glowing. Her eyebrows were scrunched in focus.
Her ability.

Leilah's ability was similar to mine. Afterall, we were sisters, but hers focused on another aspect of time than mine does. They both still classify as "time manipulation".

I tend to focus on the present. My ability is all about pausing the moment at hand and using the time in between to attack, run, or do whatever I please. Leilah focuses more on the past aspect of things. She, on a normal day, can go backwards in time about 1 minute at atime. That is a much more difficult skill than I do. As a result, she has the ability to do what I do as well. Often, however, she is drained very quickly by doing so.
And we were not about to waste any of the precious time she had secured. With my ability gone, I could not relieve her from the duty. But I could still hustle.
Faster.
We were walking faster now. Leilah's eyebrows all the more scrunched in concentration.

Then she jerked to the side. I didn't see it coming. But she sure knew. We ducked into a small supply closet and she deactivated her ability. Her breaths were deep and heavy. She slumped against the closed door. Luckily, I was able to catch her on her way down. Couldn't have her hitting her head on anything though. I swung her arm over my shoulder. Those heels really werent helping her stand on her feet. Gently, I lowered her down. I took off the heels, and propped up her head. She was out faster than a light.

I sat in the darkness of the supply closet. If only I had my ability. If I had it. Maybe she would not be collapsed like this. Maybe I could spend this time talking to her.
But no.
Instead, I sit here helpless as she lies unconscious on the ground.
I look at her. Her face, her clothes, her eyes...So this is what she has been up to? All those years I was told that she was a failure... she really was more successful than I could have ever imagined. Her clothes, her perfectly styled hair...she was obviously doing well for herself.

Then the thought hit me. Weeks ago, that...monster I called Mother had made me apply for a job here. An internship actually. What would have happened if I had actually tried to get it? Would me and Leilah eventually be working together? And I would have my powers?
What If's ran through my head constantly.
What if.

A stupid phrase. But yet it has been my mind's favorite the past month.
What if.

*Been a while I know. Hopefully you will be getting another update on Sunday. Cross your fingers guys.
On another note, if you are looking for a new original story to read, you should check out my friend Moonlight_dawned. She is writing a new book and it would mean a lot if u checked her out.
Lmk if u liked the chapter. It is shorter than the last one (oh welll). If u did enjoy, go ahead and vote for the chapter, add this story to your library, and leave a comment. Thank you so much!
-ghostly